The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Although this post is actually about this site, it is not about photography per se, hence it’s posting here. I am in the midst of packing for a long trip (Cambodia and Laos for 5 weeks, entering thru Thailand) and I realize that after my wife and family, I will miss the interaction on this site the most. Although, I haven’t posted many photos, simply because I have been getting ready to travel and my photo-taking neurons have been focused on this upcoming trip.

However, I have been active in responding to posts and come to this site first, and foremost, amongst the three I look at. I have bounced around over the last three years, never finding a Internet Forum where I was completely comfortable. Some were too big, some were too small, some were too aggressive, some were so passive that terrible photographers were never given the incentive to grow and get better.

I’ve enjoyed the short period of time I’ve been here more than any other forum I’ve been and I’ve been able to parse out three reasons.
  • One, there seems to be a good-sized group of actively involved members who actually think about their own pictures and photography in the abstract. Their critique comes, not from some arbitrary set of rules, but from an internalized formulation of what good photos are. And they tolerate others' ideas.
  • Two, there seems to be a welcome lack of self-appointed experts who ‘know’ that their ideas are correct.
  • And last, the free exchange of ideas has tolerated me when I ramble on a response, adding lots of information that may seem excessive, just because it came to me when I was writing the response and was interesting to me.
Although I will be here for the next 3 days, I will be leaving early Tuesday for 5+ weeks in SouthEast Asia, landing in Thailand, then going to Cambodia, (Angkor Wat, Phnom Penh, etc) then up into northern Laos as far as Luang Prabang and the Plain of Jars. I return in mid February and will check in after that – just to see if I have been outlawed by then.

I am writing this au revoir early because I don't want to be caught in a last minute rush and somehow miss writing a generalized thank you to all of you. So, thanks for all the great feedback from the people I’ve met here, thanks for welcoming and tolerating me. I look forward to being away – and then coming back.

Do come back safely and sound!
We'll miss you.
But as The_Traveller we believe that is what you have to do: go travelling!
You'll bring wonderful photos from most amazing places, won't you?
PROMISE!

Else we'll make you STAY! :playball: :wink:

Safe journey!!!

May your journeys be fantastically beautiful. And may you bring pictures back so the rest of us can enjoy. :D But most of all, may you have a very safe trip. We'll be waiting for your return...

I might as well be green with envy. Since I was in the area of Northern Thailand earlier this past year, I have wanted to go back. I can say with no doubt that you will have a wonderful time - and defintely have many great photo oppurtunities. Best of luck travelling.

Have a great trip!

Very nice comments! Looking forward to your pictures and be safe!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back