About to pull the trigger...

thebeatles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...but I figured I could get some last minute advice here first. I am going to be purchasing my first macro lens and I am torn between three. The three contenders are the Canon 100mm 2.8 USM, the Sigma 105mm 2.8, and the Tamron 90mm 2.8. I have looked at reviews and pictures of all three and I figured I would benefit from TPF member suggestions. I have been leaning towards the Tamron mostly because of the price. Do you think that I would be better off pairing my T1i with a Canon lens? I have heard "things" about Sigma and Tamron not performing well with Canon, (hope these are invalid statements.) Thanks in advance folks. :thumbup:

The Tamron 90mm macro has been around for many years, in various forms. The lens goes back to the 1970's,and Tamron has continually improved their 90mm macro to the point that the lens is almost a cult classic among 3rd party lenses. Its modern form showcases excellent use of space-age polymer construction methods, and excellent optics. Canon's 100mm f/2.8 EF USM is an internal focusing design, which is much different from the Tamron's extending, traditional design; the Canon does not get longer as it is focused closer.

I own a Tamron 90 in Nikon mount and the Canon 100mm EF; both have excellent optics. Both lenses offer professional-level optics. I think the Tamron is lighter in weight by a bit, and has prettier bokeh than the Canon.

I don't know about the Sigma 105 EX from personal experience, but I have seen some photos from it over the years, and the Sigma has really sharp optics it would seem.

The Tamron 90mm macro has been around for many years, in various forms. The lens goes back to the 1970's,and Tamron has continually improved their 90mm macro to the point that the lens is almost a cult classic among 3rd party lenses. Its modern form showcases excellent use of space-age polymer construction methods, and excellent optics. Canon's 100mm f/2.8 EF USM is an internal focusing design, which is much different from the Tamron's extending, traditional design; the Canon does not get longer as it is focused closer.

I own a Tamron 90 in Nikon mount and the Canon 100mm EF; both have excellent optics. Both lenses offer professional-level optics. I think the Tamron is lighter in weight by a bit, and has prettier bokeh than the Canon.

I don't know about the Sigma 105 EX from personal experience, but I have seen some photos from it over the years, and the Sigma has really sharp optics it would seem.

Thanks for the detailed info. I know you haven't used it, but do you think the Sigma would have sharper optics than the Tamron? It is in the same price bracket and I would get an extra 15mm out of the Sigma. At this point, I think I am going to cross the Canon off my list as it is a bit pricey compared to the other two. I can't really justify spending the extra money as I am still a beginner.

Thanks for the detailed info. I know you haven't used it, but do you think the Sigma would have sharper optics than the Tamron? It is in the same price bracket and I would get an extra 15mm out of the Sigma. At this point, I think I am going to cross the Canon off my list as it is a bit pricey compared to the other two. I can't really justify spending the extra money as I am still a beginner.

It been my experience with a few diff tamrons that the optics have not been what I wanted. All the sigma lenses I have used have been great. Now this is not saying all tamron are bad but I have noticed that the Sigmas have been right on. I love sigmas.

I only have experience with the Canon 100mm macro. I went throught the same process as you and I couldn't be happier with my Canon lens. The only drawback is the expensive lens hood an additional $40to $50 dollars. The lens is absolutely amazing in my opinion and is extremely sharp.

I have heard "things" about Sigma and Tamron not performing well with Canon, (hope these are invalid statements.)

I have a Sigma w/ macro for my Canon 7D and it is quite sharp.. I was very impressed (& saved myself tons of money in choosing it over the Canon! Although I have no experience with the Canon (or Tamron), I would be quite surprised if the Sigma came as a disappointment to you... Just my $.02!

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP macro (Nikon mount) - Review / Lab Test Report
Verdict:The Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP is a superb lens without any significant flaws and it's easily as good as the corresponding (classic) Micro-Nikkor - the resolution figures are extremely high, vignetting is marginal, CAs are low and distortions are non-existent. The build quality may be slightly inferior in comparison to the Nikkor but then the price tag is also substantially lower so the verdict can only be - HIGHLY recommended!

Sigma AF 105mm f/2.8 EX macro DG (Nikon mount) - Review / Lab Test Report
Verdict:The Sigma AF 105mm f/2.8 EX macro DG is an excellent lens without any significant optical flaws. The resolution figures are excellent and neither distortions nor CAs nor vignetting is something to worry about. Similar to the Tamron or Tokina counterpart it is basically as good as the much higher priced Micro-Nikkor (the classic one, not the VR). The build quality feels very good although the implementation of the Dual-Focus mechanism isn't really perfect. Regarding all the excellent lens alternatives in this segment it is quite difficult to select a favorite ... but the good news is that there isn't really a wrong choice.

IF you want to split hairs, the Tamron out-resolved the Sigma at every usable f/stop tested.

IF you want to split hairs, the Tamron out-resolved the Sigma at every usable f/stop tested.

Interesting. Thanks for the info again Derrel.

Thanks to everyone else as well. :thumbup:
That's great that I got to hear feedback from people who have used all three.

Most reactions

Back