Absolte dSLR beginner!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Guindalf, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Guindalf

Guindalf TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all,

I have just taken the plunge and ordered a Canon Rebel XSi with 18-55 and 55-250 IS lenses. I had an AV-1 many, many years ago and haven't had any SLR experience since (and not too much back then either!). The AV-1 was stolen and I have just used P&S cameras since then. I always said I would get back into it when dSLRs became available and affordable.

Anyway, to my questions.

1. I remember having to get a UV filter for my lenses back in the 35mm days. Is this still important? If so, recommendations? I see I can buy Tiffen filters from Amazon for as little as $5.17.

2. I would think a good bag is essential to protect the camera and lenses. Again, recommendations?

3. Are there any specific recommendations for memory cards? I have a 2Gb in my Pentax P&S I can use for the immediate future, but I think I probably want to go bigger. Are there any particular brands/types/sizes to be recommended or avoided?

TIA for your help and patience.

2. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, you should use something to protect the front element of your lens. Many prefer to use good quality UV filters from B&W or HOYA. I don't use UV filters, I rely on my lens hoods for front element protection.
    Yes, you should get a good bag for your gear. But bags tend to be a personal choice. I use Canon bags. A few of my shooting buddies use Kata bags. A few of them use Tamrac bags. Others like Lowpro bags. A few can afford to use Crumpler and Domke bags. 2 of them use bike messenger shoulder bags to carry their cameras in...they're waterproof.

My suggestion is to go to a camera shop and check out what they have. Something should appeal to you.
    I heard that some XSi owners are having issues with SanDisk memory cards (not sure which models though) so you may want to avoid SanDisk. Haven't heard anything bad about Kingston or Lexar. Between those 2 brands I would use Lexar...had too many problems with Kingston memory for computers.

3. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A filter could be nice to have and remember it's usually you get what you pay for so if you go cheap on something don't expect to get a steal and it perform great. As for a bag check out you local camera store and then pick one you look and it would probably be cheaper to then purchase it online from a place like amazon or adorama. If you want a lot of memory try the transcend 16gb for only 31 dollars or you can get a transcend 8gb for 16 dollars or with reader for 21. Check it out and gl.

4. KylePeterson

KylePeterson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Did you get everything at Amazon? if not where you get it and were you happy w/ the process?

5. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1- Remember that your picture will have to travel through various pieces of clear material before getting to your sensor... the first being the filters in front of the lens, and then the glass elements in the lens, and then the sensor. So the lesser quality your materials are, the more chances of your image being impacted.

If you are using the kit lenses (the ones that come with the camera), a Tiffen should be ok, but not great. If you are using higher end lenses, getting a higher end filter is a good idea.

2- Camera bags are a personal choice. I don't like the 1 strap over your shoulder ones when I walk around for a while. For 2-3 hours walk abouts, I have a sling bag (Lowepro Slingshot). For longer trips, I will be getting a more standard backpack with 2 straps. For events, I use a front load gadget bag. Its all personal choice, style and utility that you need to decide on. Head to a store and see what fits right.

3- I use Lexar memory cards with my XSI. I have 2x 4gig cards. Haven't had any issues with them. If you are shooting many pictures in short bursts, having a top of the line card is essential so that the picture copying from your camera buffer to the card does not bottleneck... aka you have to stop shooting to allow the images to be saved on the card. But with regular shooting, landscapes, portraits and so on, speed is not a huge factor.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forums!

6. digitaldetours

digitaldetours TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't use filters either. I just got a new hood that should help protect the lens somewhat.

I found a Crumpler bag on ebay that was new and a fairly decent price but you can find reasonably priced bags at your local camera store.

I have several SD cards, mostly 1 & 2 gigs each and they seem to work fine for me.

7. Guindalf

Guindalf TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I've ordered the standard kit lens and got a package with the 55-250 IS lens too. I was advised by a pro photographer on another forum I visit to buy from B&H and I got the best deal from them ($790 all-in - no tax or shipping).

I think I'll wait until the kit arrives (ordered today and estimated delivery is Friday) and visit some stores to find a bag and get some more memory cards. As for the filter, what are the better brands?).

8. OldClicker

OldClicker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think that anyone mentioned that, with film, UV affected the picture. With digital, it's just being used for protection. - TF

9. Guindalf

Guindalf TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No, no-one mentioned this and I didn't realize it either. So basically, it's just for protection? Seems to me that $5 to protect $200 is a wise investment!

10. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you going to use a UV or Skylight filter to protect your lens, don't use a cheap filter, get a good one. The cheap filters will affect your image in adverse ways. The good filters won't.

11. OldClicker

OldClicker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Seems to me that covering a $200 lens with a piece of $5 glass is like throwing away $200. - TF

12. Mgw189

Mgw189 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Also you may want to consider a few smaller capacity memory cards as opposed to a large capacity card that way if something goes wrong with a card you dont lose all of your photos at once.