Absolute Must-Have Lens for Fashion?

gabelimom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all-

I am getting more fashion work (yay!). Prob is, I'm working with a kit lens and an 80 mm lens for my tighter portrait work. What's the best lens to have for shooting full-length fashion as well as shots from the head to mid-thigh? I'm looking for a lens that won't distort, as I primarily shoot celeb maternity images. I have a D70, if that matters, and a Mamiya Pro-TL, with a kit lens and a 150 mm lens.

Thanks to all in advance!

Hi Jennifer, a Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 would be nice but a sigma in that same range and aperture would probably do.

You didn't mention budget but if you are on a tight one the 50mm f1.8 and a larger room would do.

Try seeing if your lens at either 24, 28 or 35mm focal lengths would do. If so then you could get a prime in that focal length in a F2.8. I probably wouldn't go lower than 28mm though (35mm would be better) but that's just me.

you want to stay in the 80-105 focal length area probably....anything TOO small, or TOO long...will distort the face and make the models look funny.

any 50's on your DX format will do this job very well, and won't cost you a lot.

Thanks everyone! Good advice! :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back