Abstract Photography

It could be, depending on how it is shot. I tend to be pretty strict in my defintition of what is abstract. To me, the viewer shouldn't be able to tell what the image is of, or what the subject is. The image relies solely on composition...lines, shape color, pattern, etc.

All to often people describe a blurry photo as being abstract, simply because it is not a recognizable subject, but they paid no attention to whether the composition actually works.

I figure mine is as close to abstract as anything. It was purposeful in its intent which was to make a pseudo-face...

Yes, yours is abstract. But just calling it abstract doesn't mean it is a successful, or strong image. That's what happens all too often.

4880309179_cc2bb33063_o.jpg

I'll play.....lol
4393212506_66b589c620_o.jpg

Last edited:
Were you calling me sexy or the picture.....lol
Bigger is always better!!

Whenever a photo can be understood and enjoyed without the subject matter being relevant.

I don't think the image has to be blurred or the subject unrecognizable to be considered "abstract." It's just important that the subject matter not distract from the composition.

Here are a few of mine that fall in this category, all these are a photo of shapes, textures, color and light, the subject matter is irrelevant:

Abstract_by_djacob372.jpg

supporting_by_djacob372.jpg

wall_by_djacob372.jpg

deco_by_djacob372.jpg

Like I said, I am much more of a purist.

If I look at an image, and say, oh, it's a bridge, right off, I don't consider it abstract.
Like your #2.

Your #1 on the other hand is better. I "think" it might be a garage door. But I am not sure. It leaves me wondering far more, and has more mystery.

But, you know, that's just my opinion, or how I gage it.
It's funny, there are a couple such purist Flickr groups, and people whine all the time when their images are rejected.

^ The first one rocks.. (@djacobox)

Thanks Bitter and everyone, you have opened my eyes, so to speak. I will start on some abstract as soon as possible. Looks like a lot of fun, experimenting and more having fun.

Sorry Keith.. This photo looks like pubic hair or chest hair LOL

From Dictionary.com

Fine Arts.
a. of or pertaining to the formal aspect of art, emphasizing lines, colors, generalized or geometrical forms, etc., esp. with reference to their relationship to one another.

bD300b11-30-10DVDtest_0012.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back