Abstract stuff

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my first post on this particular sub-forum, and this is one my first abstract pics ever. I appreciate your comments!

Last edited:
Well, I can leave this post in Photo Critique since you decided to come here for a reason, but would ask you please to decide on ONE of the two to stay for critique, and to please tell us some more about the "making of" of this one photo: what did you shoot with, what were your settings, what made you take this particular photo to begin with? All this information should actually best go with all the photos that get posted into Photo Critique, plus a clear request for critique on something special such as composition, light, white balance, focal points, story conveyed-? or something of the kind.

LaFoto, thanks for your post. I've just realized that this might not be the sub-forum to post these pictures. Since they are here, let's roll with it.

I'm a complete newbie getting his feet wet in photography. I am taking a photography course (something very basic) that focus in creativity. These two pictures were taken for the assignment "architectural abstract". Both were shot at the Manitoba Legislature, probably the most beatiful building in Winnipeg. Instead of shooting the obvious shots of its magnificent architecture, I shot most of my photos in the basement (!!!) and the third floor, where the offices are.

Equipment was my Nikon D70s with the 18-200 VR zoom, and a tripod.

I will delete photo #2, so I can get feedback and suggestions on pic #1. Taking into account my newbie status, any kind of feedback will be much appreciated. I want to learn more!

OK. So yes, what I see here is what I would call a real and true abstract. Though I can see it is part of a wall, actually the whole image lives lines, squares, slight curves, patterns, light and shadow on yellow. No more. In so far: yes, you really achieved a very abstract look. And I like how you saw that corner and realised there was something in there worth being "taken out of its context" and "put into a frame" to create something all new, for now it no longer is part of the wall, it is YOUR photo of brighter and darker yellow and lines and bows.

However, what bugs me (personally, keep that in mind! Critique is necessarily subjective) is the crooked line in the middle. I do appreciate that the top triangle starts in the upper right corner, but the middle line is too crooked for my liking. I would feel happier with this photo being straighter, sterner, as it were, less playing with angles ... but hey, that is just me!

However, what bugs me (personally, keep that in mind! Critique is necessarily subjective) is the crooked line in the middle. I do appreciate that the top triangle starts in the upper right corner, but the middle line is too crooked for my liking. I would feel happier with this photo being straighter, sterner, as it were, less playing with angles ... but hey, that is just me!

Thanks for the comments. Those slightly curved lines bug me a bit too :D, but I wouldn't even know how to make them straight. I'm so new in this world that I've never gotten close to Photoshop or anything like it. I only post-process with Picasa (you get the picture, no pun intended).

On the other hand, I like some imperfections in pictures... I might be crazy, but I think a few imperfections (or maybe just one!) can make pics look more real...

It's really nice. I think it would look stunning as a painting. Maybe run off some big giclee nonsense print and get yourself some yellow paints.

Thank you for the kind words, Max. For the sake of art, I'll stay away from paint.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back