Abstracts for c and c

MHRISH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these photos recently and I can't really decide if I like them or not. I have gotten some positive comments on them, but I would like the opinion of the people on this board. I know most of you are brutally honest and that is what I want.

IMGP3994.jpg

IMGP4209.jpg

#1 kinds qualifies as an abstract. It's not a real good one though. Having said that, I am much more interested in smaller sections of the image. I think if you went macro, you could pull out some interesting images. This image is overpowering with too much pattern and color. Also pay attention to symmetry. The little center circle either needs to be centered, or put it on a thirds intersection. Right now it just looks sloppy. So keep symmetry, or throw it way off. The in between is weak.

#2 not really abstract. A large part of abstract art is leaving the viewer guessing what they are looking at. Abstraction relies heavily on composition and color to creat mood or emotion and *suggest* a "story" to the viewer. To get a shot like this to work, you have to rely on editing to pull this away from reality. Go b&w, try really upping the contrast. That kinda thing.

Keep trying. Succesful abstracts can be tough.

That crop improves that image by about 4x, nicely done white.

Thank you all for your comments. Bitter, I see what you mean about number 1. That is why I stated I had som reservations about it. Also White, thanks for the edit. I learn so much from reading all your comments on my photos and other's photos too.

Currently TRIPPING BALLS in this thread.

Bitter summed up pretty good. The left side of #1 is kind dark and it's quite a busy image. White did a nice crop.
I did an edit. I flipped it 180° to get the central crystal up on the eye line and cropped it to get the crystal closer to a ROT power point. Then I did some of this, and some of that. I also did an even more abstract second version:
IMGP3994.jpg

IMGP3994Extruded.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for the edits KmH. I really like the first one a lot. I also like the second one, but it no longer even resembles my original photo. Maybe that is a good thing though. What about the second photo though. No comments on it except Bitter stating that it is not really an abstract. I would appreciate some feedback on it, whether good, bad, or indifferent.

Most reactions

Back