Acadia National Park - December 2017

I like the idea of the b&w due to the boring sky but not crazy about the tones in your first crack at it. I rarely choose b&w so can’t really offer any suggestions on improving the current edit.

Definitely for me I like the first composition better.

Went out to shoot the sunset at bass harbor head lighthouse tonight. No clouds, so a really boring sky. But I did get some nice golden light out of it at least. Playing with which way I like the photo best. What do you guys think? Don't be too harsh on the processing, these are really quick edits.

1.)
i-SM6p3Qm-XL.jpg

2.)
i-xrD737z-XL.jpg

3.)
i-Tr9bdt5-XL.jpg
#3 but if you can mute the brightness of those middle rocks it would really help balance out the rocks on the bottom and the lighthouse on top.

I also like some of those filters/settings that mute colors but are not quite B&W. I've been meaning to fiddle with them but have never had any time. But I think it may work with this type of image.

Idk, I think the color ones are great! I am not a huge fan of the b&w ones to be honest, that scene has so much tone range...

Number 2 in the latest set. You lose that golden light in the black and white. The comp for number 2 is stronger.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! Just got back in from shooting some star trails over the coast. Grabbing dinner and a beer and then gonna process them quick

Went out to shoot the sunset at bass harbor head lighthouse tonight. No clouds, so a really boring sky. But I did get some nice golden light out of it at least. Playing with which way I like the photo best. What do you guys think? Don't be too harsh on the processing, these are really quick edits.

1.)
i-SM6p3Qm-XL.jpg

2.)
i-xrD737z-XL.jpg

3.)
i-Tr9bdt5-XL.jpg

I prefer #1. The sky has a nice shimmering glow to it, not boring to me. I like the size of the lighthouse in relation to the scene.

I didn’t mean boring like there was something wrong with it, it’s just boring compared to the usual sunsets that they have at that spot. No clouds, no colors, just kind of blah.

I didn’t mean boring like there was something wrong with it, it’s just boring compared to the usual sunsets that they have at that spot. No clouds, no colors, just kind of blah.

Agreed. I’d id never seen another photo from this spot I’d like this shot a lot more. I just know what the potential of the spot is.. and this ain’t it.

First night shot processed. I'm still working on my star trail work, specifically getting the foreground to not look like crap.

i-hhTLSVR-XL.jpg

And the last 2 night shots. I like these two a lot better but I'm *REALLY* wishing I would have focus stacked so the foreground was sharp in both of them. I could kick myself for forgetting to shift the focus for the frames where I light painted.

i-WkFHKpK-XL.jpg

i-5tCHNkQ-XL.jpg

Most reactions

Back