accessories for D50

indie snob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm getting to buy my Nikon D50 but still have a few unanswered questions:

I don't know what kind of photography i want to get into, (what field that is) and i need a lense. Is there any good all around lense i should start off with? mainly my two choices are the 18-55mm and 28-80mm because my expendatures are limiting me to a kit style purchase. If it helps, using my parents' point and shoot i've come to enjoy landscapes, indoor photos, and basically a guirrilla style photography where i would go into the city and shoot whatever looked interesting.

Also, for that lense i'm going to need a filter. what kind of all around filter would you guys recommend? Brand and style (i.e. polorized, non-polorized, uv, etc.) would be much appreciated.

Sounds like the 18-55 is better then because you might need the wide angle. Besides there are a few cheap telezoom lenses should you discover that you need one (a 70-300 G goes for about 100$). I've not seen wide angle lenses for that little money yet. For indoor you might want to consider a 50mm f/1.8 which also goes for well under 100$ used to be able to shoot avaiable light. I got one and don't regret it one bit. Just try the kit @ 50mm to see if you could use this lens.

For filters, well UV-filter would be the only thing that could be considered allround-filter but more for it's protective effect than for an actual effect on the images. Everything else is more or less dependent on what you want to shoot and how you want it to come out.
But didn't you just recently asked the filter-question already, why a second time?

i asked a second time after i read a thread where someone was going to buy a filter for over $100. And i knew i needed a filter. I just wanted to get a handle on the brand names to look for and what type. I havnt heard about brand name yet but your post was very helpful.

P.S.- where are you finding lenses that cheap? the 70-300 i looked at was for over $300!!

just as another little blurb, i want to get into photography because film and capturing life has become sort of an interest in mine. I passed on the idea to shoot actual video after i had a talk with a camera man's son. This talk enlightened me to the fact that you need to become familiar with over 100 different types of cameras to even compete. But i digress...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...59&is=GREY&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

There's the 70-300G for 100$, but I don't really know what is meant with "imported" or what the benefits of a "US-Version" are as I'm not from the USA. There's another version of this lens (70-300ED) which is about 250-300$ but I don't know that one and can't tell the differences between them.

i asked a second time after i read a thread where someone was going to buy a filter for over $100. And i knew i needed a filter.

You know what a filter is, what different types are there and what they are used for? I wouldn't just go out and buy a filter for the heck of it. First check on what filters are there and which you may need (google will help with that). A polarizer is surely a good investion (also planning on getting one) but maybe you should inform yourself first what it does. And it's by no means something to always have on the lens. And it's important to first know what lens you will use it on so that you can get the correct size ;-).

If you click on where it says "imported" on that link, it explains the difference. If you are in the US, it seems like a pretty good deal.

if you can aford it get the new 18-200mm nikkor ed vr lense if not ge tthe 18-70 that comes with the d 70
i hav ea d50 with the kit lense(18-55) i dont like this lens
i also have a 70-300 nikkor (great lense i love it) this is almsot all i use

Most reactions

New Topics

Back