accessories for nikon *D300*

schiva

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post! I thought I'd better ask the experts for this one. I'd really appreciate any advice :)

I want to get my dad a birthday gift. He has a nikon D300 (excuse the typo the title, I think it is D300 and not the other way around), for which he has a 18-200mm lens and a 50mm lens. It's a hobby of his, he mainly photographs family events, mom's latest cake, landscapes and architecture around the place, that kinda thing :)

So I'm asking you guys if there's anything I could get him to compliment his camera? Maybe even something small like a macro converter or a filter that is inexpensive but fun to experiment with? or maybe there's something like an external flash that'd prevent that caught in the headlights look... or heck feel free to suggest books or computer software, too. i'm pretty flexible up to 100$ or so.

I just have no idea how to start looking and what I need to watch out for in terms of compatibility with his camera model.

thanks!

Last edited:
I would suggest a circular polarizing filter; look for either a Tiffen or Hoya multi-coated one (You'll need the 72mm size for the 18-200mm lens).

I would suggest a circular polarizing filter; look for either a Tiffen or Hoya multi-coated one (You'll need the 72mm size for the 18-200mm lens).

thanks that's exactly the kind of idea I was looking for :) huh, the massive price difference between brands tells me that this is one of those things where you get what you pay for.

very nice photos on your site btw. I had a look through the wildlife and travel sections :)

thanks that's exactly the kind of idea I was looking for :) huh, the massive price difference between brands tells me that this is one of those things where you get what you pay for.

very nice photos on your site btw. I had a look through the wildlife and travel sections :)

You sure do!

Thanks!

Second jlykins suggestion as well.

What they said,

Spare batteries are always good.

If he has troube seeing through the viewfinder (I'm assuming he's older) the DG2 Eyepiece magnifier and dk22 adapter to fit the dg22. Unless he wears glasses as a lot of people say they scratched their glasses up bad when having the dg2 moved up out of the way.

A white balance cap.

If you can find a used one an mb-d10 battery grip would be really good.

My suggestion is a gift cetificate to a camera store. That way he could get what he really wanted.

wow, that's a lot of suggestions, thanks! I'm looking into everything :)

edit:
jly, is this the strap you mean?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Op-Tech-Pro-Camera-Strap/dp/B00092KD9C/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top[/ame]

I'm actually perplexed at the reviews it gets. Looking at it you'd never know it was better than the nikon strap. seriously? huh, i'll take your word for it.

Last edited:
Straps are good if you take your camera places. And I mean it's around your neck for hours at a time. Otherwise the strap may not be so useful.

you get what you pay for when it comes to glass about 98 percent of the time. I bought a cheap CP filter and it is horrible.

Yeah my dad definitely takes the camera hiking so the strap is a good idea. just can't seem to find that particular model in europe, and I refuse to pay $50 dollars to ship a $ 20 item- it just doesn't seem right. :p

update: I found a seller for the OpTech Pro strap with humane shipping costs and just ordered that :) I was also looking at with/without polarisation photo examples and I'm definitely getting him that on some other occasion too!

thank you guys, that was really helpful.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back