accessories for rebel xti

cameramike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedifilippo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so i'm getting the canon rebel XTI kit with the 18mm-55mm lense soon. i'm looking for lenses that will give me a wide variety of different types of shots, I'm not looking to do just macro or wide angle or telephoto or portrait, so i guess what im saying is a lense (no more than lets say 150-175$ us) that is sort of a "jack of all trades" if you will.

also, looking into getting a lense hood because it seems like everyone likes them only cons is the extra room they take up, i have no problem with that. What ones do you suggest and what if I'm using two lenses and ones maybe 58mm and the other is 62mm, two different hoods?Same thing with filters, polarized, uv what do you guys suggest?

I'm 17, i dont have a huge amount of money i want things cheap but dont want stuff thats going to break after a few uses. Thanks to anyone who replies :).

hehe i realize that. i guess i shouldnt of said cheap. for example i notice that there are lenses out there for 150$ that have great reviews and then ones out there for 700$.. im looking at the 150$ ones.

i'll also like to know if there is a lens like that
for instance i have a powershot s5is, wich is a high end point and shoot , i imagine there should be a single lense that can do at least the same the one the s5 has. is there anyone like that? i really don't know the numbers but on a review site about the s5 says:

• 36 - 432 mm equiv
• 12x Optical zoom
• F2.7 - F3.5 (max)
• 11 elements in 9 groups (1 aspherical element, 1 UD element)

:confused: hehe
so that means i have to get a super telephoto to get the same zoom level?

Photography isn't cheap, there is no possible way you can get a jack-of-all-trades with a good max aperture that wont fall apart for under $400. The best you can do is probably combine a Canon 70-300 non IS non USM and maybe a 50mm 1.8 with your kit lens.

cameramike, what's your budget for the whole package? You can save a lot not buying the kit lens, and put that savings toward another lens.

iv already bought the camera with the kit lense. all together came out to be 620$. right now im trying to get a list of stuff i want to buy next when iv got another few hundred to spend. so i'd say 200$ to get the next batch of goodies. dont need extra batteries or memory so those are off the list.

iv already bought the camera with the kit lense. all together came out to be 620$. right now im trying to get a list of stuff i want to buy next when iv got another few hundred to spend. so i'd say 200$ to get the next batch of goodies. dont need extra batteries or memory so those are off the list.

If you're happy with the kit lens, you could pick up a Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 which will give you decent telephoto and macro. Those run about $140, and if you do a quick search you'll find some very nice photos on the forum. You could also pickup the Canon 50mm f/1.8, which you give you a nice fast lens to replace the kit lens, and stay around $200 for both.

which would you recommend, the canon 70-300 or the tamron, your also saying the sigma? i'm still a bit confused about the 50mm but almost tempted to buy it just because of how cheap it is and because everyone loves it.

i ordered the camera thursday so i do not have it yet but i'm hoping i will be happy with the lense.

when you say 50mm are you talking about something like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html ? if so i'm wondering what situation would you use that in? just to mimic the "standard" no zoom? And the 70-300 is actually what i was looking at, which would be better ,canon or tamron?
http://www.butterflyphoto.com/1/CANEF75-300III/Canon_EF_75-300mm_f_4-5_6_III_Zoom_Lens
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=TM75300LDEOS

true it doesn't zoom but "what would you use it for?" it has a max aperture of 1.8 which is insanely fast for someone moving up from a kit lens. It allows you to use faster shutter speeds in a given light situation so that there is less chance of blur due to less time for the camera to move.

A lens that can do everything would probably be the Canon 28-300mm f/3-5.6 L, but that's 3 grand. I dunno, it's gonna be hard to find a cheap lens to do everything, that's what point-and-shoots are for.

i realize my point and shoot is best for that. so it looks like ill go with the 50mm and the 75mm-300mm as my lenses, what do you all think about filters

well got the camera today :) hehe having fun playing with it. defintly though going to need a lense with a better zoom, so im looking at the 75-300mm should i stick with a canon lense though? whats the pros of this? Also, if i set my lense to 50mm that is the same ZOOM as the 50mm 1.4 lense right (just the aperature is a smaller fstop so its a super clear shot). also, i have 3 camera bags, 2 are to small to fit the camera and the third can fit it, but not sure itd fit another lense. what bags do you guys suggest for your camera and accessories.

well got the camera today :) hehe having fun playing with it. defintly though going to need a lense with a better zoom, so im looking at the 75-300mm should i stick with a canon lense though? whats the pros of this? Also, if i set my lense to 50mm that is the same ZOOM as the 50mm 1.4 lense right (just the aperature is a smaller fstop so its a super clear shot). also, i have 3 camera bags, 2 are to small to fit the camera and the third can fit it, but not sure itd fit another lense. what bags do you guys suggest for your camera and accessories.

if you want to use the term "zoom" but zoom really only means it can change, so the proper term is angle of view. but yeah it has a limited max aperture, and it isn't nearly as sharp. Primes have waaaay superior optical quality. You'd be getting near L series zoom image quality out of a non L prime.

Most reactions

Back