Accessories when using AB800 with Nikon D50?

Parago

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm about to spend some serious cash on AlienBees and I was wondering (since I read something vague about this) whether I need additional accessories other than the sync cable the light comes with?! Something that goes on the hot shoe? What could it be?

Thanks!

Depends on your camera. If your camera is equipped w/ a pc connection, then the bee will plug straight in to the camera via this connection by a sync cord. Any additional flashes or strobes you may use can be set as slaves and will fire by the bee. If your camera is not considered a "pro" body and doesn't have the pc connection, you can simply get a hot shoe adapter like I and many of us probably had to do that has a pc connection built into it. This will slip right into the hot shoe of your camera, and the sync cord will plug into that and will work as stated above. I think I paid another $10 or something for that adapter from Alien Bee.

You need a safe sync. They're about $60, and unlike regular PC adapters, they'll prevent your camera from possibly getting fried.

You need a safe sync. They're about $60, and unlike regular PC adapters, they'll prevent your camera from possibly getting fried.

Even when my camera has the direct PC connection?

Johnboy.. thanks so much!

Gotcha.. again, thanks so much!

It's a little off topic but maybe I can ask here anyways..

About the set-up. Right now I'm working with two incredibly weak continuous lights (app. 150W each, small softboxes) and the Bee will be a big big help as you can imagine. I simply can't afford two bees so what is your suggestion as to how to position the 3 lights?

You are really going to be surprised how much more light the bee is going to produce compared to two 150w continuous lights. I'm not sure I would even use them in combination b/c of the different temps between the two and trying to get a correct white balance may be an issue. I would probably use just the bee by itself with some reflectors (large pieces of foam core for picture framing works well too).

You might try using the strobe as your primary source of light and use one of the continuous lights as a hair light and the other as a fill light and just see if you can get an accurate white balance. May need to go w/ a custom WB on that.

You are really going to be surprised how much more light the bee is going to produce compared to two 150w continuous lights. I'm not sure I would even use them in combination b/c of the different temps between the two and trying to get a correct white balance may be an issue. I would probably use just the bee by itself with some reflectors (large pieces of foam core for picture framing works well too).

You might try using the strobe as your primary source of light and use one of the continuous lights as a hair light and the other as a fill light and just see if you can get an accurate white balance. May need to go w/ a custom WB on that.

Makes sense, I'll just have to play around with it first and see.. didn't even occur to me yet, the difference in light temp.. duh. I can't wait to have it here!:lmao:

I agree with Johnboy...you probably don't want to mix lighting types, it will give you head aches. Although, it might help you to learn about multiple light sets ups...but still...mixing flash and constant lights is just asking for confusion.

Try a Google search for 'one light portraits' or 'one light studio'...you should find some good info and some tips.

Ok so my light arrived today, I was all excited and then I learned that my D50 does have a USB port, however, no port for the sync chord. GRRR. :grumpy:

I'm so sorry bout bothering you guys again about this but I just called Camera Wolf and they said they don't carry the hot shoe adapter and ordering it would take weeks.

Where on earth can I get the thing and what else will I definitely need?

Thanks so much.. I really appreciate the help.

Never mind.. I bought the AS-15 because I've found numerous statements that with the Alienbees there's no need for a safe sync.

Thanks again!! :mrgreen:

Yes, the trigger voltage is low enough to be safe...no need for a safesync

Not for modern strobes. This is needed if the trigger voltage is higher than the breakdown voltage of the camera's sync terminal. Some ancient strobes went as high as 240V, from the film camera days they could go as high as 24V.

Modern current generation equipment has no issues. And this voltage has nothing to do with the hotshoe or sync terminals because in reality they are electrically the same.

Care to link us to the light set-up you purchased?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back