Accidentally left Camera on whilst changing lenses

TBAM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi

I recently noticed that my Olympus E-420 when looking at my exposures after shooting, the pictures seem a lot noisier than I remember them to be. Even on ISO 100, when I zoom in, some colours and even the images of things that I wouldn't have though would be noisy, but quite crisp, appear noisy.

Last night, I changed lenses whilst photographing my uncle's wedding, and I noticed that I accidentally left the camera on whilst doing so. I wondered if I had done this before, and maybe if this contributed to the noisy pictures.

Does anyone know if changing lenses with the camera on is bad? Does it create more dust on the sensor? The camera has an automatic cleaner thingo, but i'm a bit worried now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I constantly hot swap. It should not be your problem.

Perhaps try to Reset your camera to its defaults. It's quite possible that some setting was changed and you forgot about it. I know I have........ several times. :lol:

BTW, you do expose the sensor to dust each time you change lenses. Just use common sense sort of stuff. I always tilt the body down and turn my back to the wind if outside.

Unless there's something very unique about Olympuses (Olympi?), as kundalini mentioned, hot-swaps should cause no problems. Are the pictures where you're seeing the problems under-exposed at all? Under-exposure introduces significant noise into images, even at low ISOs.

Interestingly, even the idea that you could get more dust on the sensor if you changed lenses with the camera on has turned out to be incorrect. If I had to guess there was something odd about the shooting situation you recently found yourself in that messed with your images.

Hey Guys, thanks for the help.

I reset the settings and went out at lunch and it seems to have gotten a bit better. I will attempt to put some examples up later tonight.

Basically, it's when I zoom in on the image I have just taken. For an example, I was putting a boxed edition of Friends (the TV series) on ebay the other day, and took a photo of it, and for some reason, even on 100 ISO, in good lighting with good shutter speed, fill flash, everything, the edges of the lettering on the case, didn't appear sharp upon zooming, and the black part of the title didn't appear to be flat flack.

The images, appear (to me) more like minor noise with artifacts, than simple just a lot of noise.

Perhaps i'm zooming in too much, being too critical, being anal retentive (I have a habit of doing that) and pedantic, I don't know.

It just struck me as odd the other day, they just "looked" noisy. When I realised I had "hot-swapped" my lenses last night, it gave me a rhyme to the reason, to think "Maybe i've done this the wrong way".

But hopefully it's nothing.

Switching lenses while your camera is powered on shouldn't cause any problem. I do it all the time.

If I'm outside, I always have my camera hanging from my neck and I turn the camera around so that the open lens mount is facing my body.

Hey Guys, thanks for the help.

I reset the settings and went out at lunch and it seems to have gotten a bit better. I will attempt to put some examples up later tonight.

Basically, it's when I zoom in on the image I have just taken. For an example, I was putting a boxed edition of Friends (the TV series) on ebay the other day, and took a photo of it, and for some reason, even on 100 ISO, in good lighting with good shutter speed, fill flash, everything, the edges of the lettering on the case, didn't appear sharp upon zooming, and the black part of the title didn't appear to be flat flack.

The images, appear (to me) more like minor noise with artifacts, than simple just a lot of noise.

Perhaps i'm zooming in too much, being too critical, being anal retentive (I have a habit of doing that) and pedantic, I don't know.

It just struck me as odd the other day, they just "looked" noisy. When I realised I had "hot-swapped" my lenses last night, it gave me a rhyme to the reason, to think "Maybe i've done this the wrong way".

But hopefully it's nothing.

I'm a beginner myself, but I'll try and help.

The color issue has to do with white balance probably. But have you tooled around with the sharpness settings on your camera? It may give you those crisp lines you're looking for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back