Accidentally took 58MM 2.0X lens apart...now what?

endrakay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I accidentally took my lens apart...long story...I am not sure if I have put it back together correctly or not.:( Does anybody know how the lenses are supposed to be configured inside? There are two possible ways that it will all fit back.

How exactly does one take a lens apart "accidentally"?

My thoughts exactly.

Well...there were children and a small dog involved...and I screwed off the wrong end. I just wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I believe it is a telephoto adapter/filter. I have no idea what a Helios is...don't judge me!! I'm new to all this, and trying to get to know my equipment.

Some people talk while asleep. Others walk in their sleep. And a few manage to disassemble lenses while asleep. The trick to preventing this is to hide all the JIS screwdrivers.

I think it sounds like the screw on tele adapter, so no JIS screws just filter type threads between parts.
If theres only two ways round it could fit try one if thats no good try the other.
If it's similar to the 2x screw on adapter I got several years back, the best thing is to see if the seperate parts make a workable close up filter. The quality of mine was awful, I found even with only 6MP available it was invariably better to crop the image.

I've done it. Alcohol was involved. Here's the process: "Oh there's dust in here. Maybe I can *burp* get rid of it." So far I've only fixed one lens (Ektar on my Hasselblad), but attempted quite a few. :lol:

You can accidentally put it back together correctly.

or just try the multiple ways it goes back together and test the outcomes.
or take it to a camera shop

Well, you've got a jewelers screwdriver in your hand, the lens is sitting on the kitchen table, suddenly you trip and bang your head on the table. The screwdriver lands right on the first screw that holds the lens together. Your rather large dog, excited, grabs ahold of your leg and starts running circles around the table. Disoriented, you hang onto the screwdriver for dear life and as a result the screw pops loose. Still dizzy, you start grasping around for something to hold onto to hopefully stop the dog from spinning you at such a high rate of speed, and in your flailing around you manage to get the screwdriver in the second screw holding the lens together. Before long it goes flying as well.

Finally the dog stops spinning you around, and you realize there is only one or two screws holding the lens together, so you try desperately to get the other screw back in but in your dizzy and disoriented state you manage to take the rest of the screws out instead of putting the old ones back in - and suddenly your lens is apart.

I mean seriously, who hasn't this happened too? Lol

My thoughts exactly.

Well...there were children and a small dog involved...and I screwed off the wrong end. I just wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I believe it is a telephoto adapter/filter. I have no idea what a Helios is...don't judge me!! I'm new to all this, and trying to get to know my equipment.

The only good place for those telephoto adaters is in the dustbin/trash

My thoughts exactly.

The only good place for those telephoto adaters is in the dustbin/trash

I was just going to say... you MAY have actually done yourself a favor. Those screw-on adapters that they try to pass off as a "lens" are usually very poor quality and degrade the image -- which sort of defeats the point of owning a nice camera or lens.

I used to work in and ER as a Med Tech. I can tell you lots of "accidentally" stories. Most are N.S.F.W. an many involved a lubricated light bulb. Enough said. :lmao:

Most reactions

Back