According to dPreview, Canon 450d has better image quality than Nikon's d90

Jin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As you can see in this link, nikon's d90 recieved a score of 8.5 for image quality.
Nikon D90 Review: 36. Conclusion: Digital Photography Review

And on this link for Canon's 450d/Xsi, dPreview gave it a 9 for image quality
Canon EOS 450D / Digital Rebel XSi Review: 34. Conclusion: Digital Photography Review

Also the 450d's comparison images look sharper than the d90's. Am I missing something here? or did dPreview make a mistake?

Surely, d90 would have the better image quality, as its on a whole different level.

Don't get so wrapped up in image quality stats & reviews etc. What YOU do and how YOU do it, will matter a lot more than which camera you are using.

For the most part, the Rebels do test very well in the image quality dept. compared to 'mid-level' bodies like the D90, 50D etc. The big difference is the actual size, layout & build of the body itself.

For example t1i has exactly the same sensor as the 50d, so picture quality is exactly the same.

50d costs more because it has faster shutter, magnesium body and a lcd screen up top.

As you can see in this link, nikon's d90 recieved a score of 8.5 for image quality.

Canon EOS 450D / Digital Rebel XSi Review: 34. Conclusion: Digital Photography Review

Also the 450d's comparison images look sharper than the d90's. Am I missing something here? or did dPreview make a mistake?

Surely, d90 would have the better image quality, as its on a whole different level.

Where are you basing your comment on IQ from? Did you test the D90 against 450D? :)

Gosh, I think I'll run right down to Best Buy or Ritz Camera and snatch up a Canon 450D!!!

Keep in mind that camera ratings are done relative to the state of the art at the time of the review.

The 450D was tested in May 2008.
The D90 was tested in October 2008.

In other words, the expectations were higher for the D90. The scores can't really be compared since I'm sure dpreview doesn't go and re-scale all their older ratings every time a new review is done.

Consider also the following image quality ratings from dpreview (note the newer reviews give a score out of 15, so I scaled them to a score out of 10 to be comparable to the original post; I also averaged the separate RAW and JPEG scores from the newer reviews):

Canon 500D (tested June 2009): 6.7 out of 10
Canon 550D (tested April 2010): 7 out of 10

Straightforward comparison of scores implies that Canon 500D (t1i) and 550D (t2i) are significantly inferior to the 450D (XSi). That may be true in some specific aspects, but I think most of us can agree that's not true overall.

Ah I see. Thanks for the explanations guys, I was confused for a moment there :p

Do not worry about image quality that much!!
Even a old Rebel XT can produce nice image as long as the photographer knows how. (and sometimes combine it with good lens)

There are other sources for image quality information. Information that may in fact be more technically grounded.

DxOMark - Compare sensors

There are other sources for image quality information. Information that may in fact be more technically grounded.

DxOMark - Compare sensors
Yes, because why look at images when you can look at numbers instead! Especially with ambiguous testing methods!

Besides, according to DxO, not only is the D90 better than the 450D, it's better than Nikon's D300 and D300s, too!

/exit stage left.

Last edited:
Don't get wrapped up in the image quality reviews. Look for a feature set on a camera body that fits your needs. Most entry level cameras produce images more or less identicle to their more expensive counterparts. Its the other features that determine your needs.

I had the Nikon D90 and switched to the Canon 50D. I so miss my Nikons. The D90 was one of the best cameras in quality and use I have had. I am not dissing the Canon and I know your talking about a different model, but the D90 is great for quality in my opinion. I would trade back easy. Just my two cents

How they can rate the build quality on either one above 4 is beyond me.

It is because it is Canon. Everyone knows that a Rebel can beat out a Nikon D700 or D3 any day of the week on image quality. Its why Canon is better than Nikon. Really. My word is gospil.

Was a time we had peeping toms, now we also have to worry about pixel peepers as well!

Is there any real world implication between a rating of 8.5 vs 9.0, or between 6.7 and 7.0 out of whatever? Does it matter? Is anybody going to rush out and buy new gear because of it?

Most reactions

Back