Action Figures

Hooligan Dan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I'm not taking pictures of city council meetings, fires, and sports for work, I love sitting down and relaxing with an action figure shoot. Haven't seen anybody else here doing it, so I thought I'd share. If photojournalism doesn't work out for me promo shots for a toy company is me other career choice.

Here's one I took today. C&C welcome.

Nikon D300
ISO 200
f/5.6 @ 1/10 sec
SB-600 with green gel at 1/32 power
Smith-Victor 200w continuous camera right w/shoot through brelly

Thanks for looking guys. I'll post some more if anyone is interested.

I like that - the pose speaks of action occuring and there is mystery in the hand we cannot see. The overall green effect on the shot works well at creating a wooded area with canopy filtered light.
Sharpness is spot on - though I wonder about the depth of field - I am getting this niggle that the arm in front would work better in focus rather then very slightly out of it - a smaller aperture possibly solve this? Course I understand the need to keep the background in this well blurred
Very good shot and yes - lets see more! :)

I like that - the pose speaks of action occuring and there is mystery in the hand we cannot see. The overall green effect on the shot works well at creating a wooded area with canopy filtered light.
Sharpness is spot on - though I wonder about the depth of field - I am getting this niggle that the arm in front would work better in focus rather then very slightly out of it - a smaller aperture possibly solve this? Course I understand the need to keep the background in this well blurred
Very good shot and yes - lets see more! :)

Thanks! And looking at it I agree I could have used maybe a stop more dof. I try not to get much dof though when I shoot these because most of the time the backdrop, such as the trees in photo, are printed on matte paper and can look kinda funky if they are sharp.

Yah - I suppose you also cannot compensate by moving the screen back too far or else it won't blend with the foreground as well - a tricky area, but I can very much see the appeal to this sort of shooting - one where you have total control over camera, subject, lighting and background

I'm not sure how I feel about the forearm chopping, but honestly, the lighting had me so mesmerized, it took me a while to even see his arm. I really think you did well with the lighting here, and the green tones really carry this image. The only quibble I have with the lighting is that it seems to be a tad bit brighter in his midsection than anywhere else, but that could well be the action figure itself and its coloring. But yes, really nice work here, well done.

Thanks!

The forearm cropping mainly comes from the printed backdrop not being wide enough to include the hand in the shot.

The forearm cropping mainly comes from the printed backdrop not being wide enough to include the hand in the shot.
I guess that tells you what you're next project should be (...wider backdrop), lol.

Love the green lighting!

Ooo... Love the setup and lighting! Very kewl!!!

Nice picture, you should give a shout to McFarlane toys. :)

Notelliot...how did you find Caeser Lima? very interesting!

They already know about be. Todd himself has asked me for my portfolio. :D
I don't want to live in New Jersey though. ;)

Nice picture, you should give a shout to McFarlane toys. :)

Notelliot...how did you find Caeser Lima? very interesting!
I think he had a spread in Digital Photo Pro. It's been a long time though, so I can't really remember.

Most reactions

Back