Action photo C n C please!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Pokeguyjai, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Pokeguyjai

Pokeguyjai TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    As you can see I'm a big fan of shooting using low value aperatures (~f4) when shooting action shots. I like how they bring all the attention to the subject, and phase out all the busy-ness which the BG can bring into the picture. I'm a noob, so any and all help is very appreciated!

It was a very bright sunny day, and I waited til ~3:30PM til I whipped out the camera.

I used continuous shooting, aperature value was f4.0, and shutter speeds were ~1250.

[​IMG]

I really like this picture on the bottom. I don't know why. I'm guessing this is how the world looks right after you pull the trigger, and everything is blurry, but you're following through on the shot. I like it, but I think it could have been better...

I think a higher aperature value (5.6 or a little higher) would've helped. I liked how how my friends head is very focused, and the BG is very blurred. But the BG is a little TOO blurred IMO.

[​IMG]

THANKS AGAIN!

2. benpsut

benpsut TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would have rather seen a more open aperture. And that "blurryness" is called Bokeh. You definately have bokeh but way too much iMo. I can just make out what he's shooting at. The angles a bit off too. Especially the 2nd one! I would have been down at his level with him on the left of the crop with the targets in focus more than they are on the right hand side or something like that. Also, shooting at 330 will provide some harsh shadows. Not saying you should stop shooting, my schedule for taking photographs is 24/7 . But you will get some harsh light, especially this time of the year. Using a wider aperture will slow your shutter speed down, almost to the ponit where you're gonna need a tripod, you might do fine without it if you're out shooting near mid day with TONS of sun. Good luck!

3. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    And thus, fill flash was invented.

4. benpsut

benpsut TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Owning the same camera being used in the photo's above, the flash on the 400D is lacking for any "fill flash" unless you are up close and personal, which might have been the case here, who knows....

5. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    "Unable to extract some or all of the Exif data."

Unless OP comes back and says what length he was at, we may never know.

6. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What more is there to know, Reg? Doesn't he tell?
    Oh. Length. Yes. Well. Too true. He doesn't say anything about THAT! Sorry, yes. Erm: no. No info on that.

7. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Aside from what others have said, it might have been cooler if you got it down from a lower angle- more the perspective of the shooter. Obviously some muzzle flash from the gun would have looked pretty cool as well.

8. Pokeguyjai

Pokeguyjai TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was about 4-5 feet from him. It was a SUPER bright day, so I don't know if any flash would've helped.

Sorry guys, I'm a noob to photography, so I really have only a vague idea of what fill-flash is and no idea how to utilize it in this situation.

Muzzle flash would've been impossible to see from this gun unless at night. The flash hider on that thing works really well. I have a picture of a puff of grey smoke exiting the barrel, which is what would've been the "flash."

I'll definitely take that into consideration if I'm shooting pictures of guns with big flash.

9. Pokeguyjai

Pokeguyjai TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Roger that, less Bokeh and more down to his level. The angle was off because I was shooting in continuous mode and I was just blasting away randomly. Personally, I like the angle, but that means nothing!

Again, it was SUPER bright that day, so getting a good exposure with a rather high shutter speed was not a problem at 3:30. But I'll definitely try shooting an hour or two earlier.

10. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Pffft... what fun is that? :) I mean the replica revolutionary war muskets I occasionally snap pictures of have like 1-1.5' long muzzle flashes in broad daylight!!! :lol:

Ok, maybe tactically that's not the greatest idea, but it's wicked cool. :)

11. Pokeguyjai

Pokeguyjai TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Haha, I'm going to be picking up a Mosin Nagant maybe today, or soon. It is Russian WW1/WW2 rifle that shoots a fairly big bullet which usuaully uses com-bloc powder, aka slow burning. AKA BIG FLASH!!

I'm going to snap some pics of that being shot and hopefully I'll fill your flash cravings :lol:;)

Heres a little pic I found on google to keep you satisfied :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Hey, even if you miss your target, you'll atleast set it on fire! :lmao:;)