Action Photo Camera

Yea I see that now. That means it would be more complicated to take photos, right? They are more for professionals?
No, it is not more complicated, and they are not for professionals.

Your current camera can do that, how to make it do that is the question. Probably the best is to use the Auto mode and hope the camera recognizes the running dog or kids. For the camera to use the higher shutter speed you do need some decent sunlight. Your current camera will note that it has recognized movement if it shows the icon of a person with two lines behind it (Move). You also need to activate Tracking Focus on this camera so it will continue to focus on the moving subject. If you can learn to do this on your current camera then it will be easier on a camera with a few more options.
Following is the link to the guide for your current camera and I would look at pages 88 and 107 to help with blurry images of moving subjects.
https://docs.sony.com/release/DSCW830_guide_EN.pdf

For the shutter lag and that issue it is best handled with a better camera like the Nikon 1 as mentioned above.

Of course you have to learn some things about using a camera, but it's not for pros.
You could start using the auto mode. In bright light that might be sufficient.
Some P&S have special settings for fast moving subjects, called sports mode or something like that. That could be a help.
But setting the speed is not that difficult. You put the mode dial on top of the camera
on S, and then you can set the speed. How you do that, you can mostly find in the user manual
of the camera. Learning photography is best done by trial an error.
If you're interested, here you find a free online e-book, that explains the basics:
Creative Photography A Complete Online Book - Book Contents

Rudi
Thanks Rudi, I will check it out. And thanks for suggesting a camera that would work. I will be looking into it tomorrow.

I don't understand most of these things (shutter lag, speed ISO, etc). And Im confused as the Nikon is rated better but yet the Panasonic is more money...

I'm happy to go over this again.

Your first post told me that what you are most concerned about is shutter LAG, NOT SPEED. Shutter lag is the time it takes for the camera to respond between the time you press the button and the time it actually makes the capture. There are reasons for this lag time, but suffice it to say you will experience an undesirable lag in time with the less expensive cameras.

The posters who thought you wanted a faster shutter speed were not helping, IMO, and the conversation went off into the weeds.

Anyway; I went looking for reviews about the lag time specifically, and most reviews that I read said that the Nikon 1 had a very short lag time, similar to a DSLR.

I posted that the pictures that the dogs are captured in (in motion) are all blurry. I want a clear well defined picture of my dogs running. My other issue is that my current camera is so slow with capturing the picture that many times the dog is already past the viewing field. Is there not a P&S with short lag time. I will look at the Nikon again but someone said that it is a mirror camera?

Never mind the shutter speed rating, because as I said; you're not taking pictures of bullets, so any speed between 1/250 second to 1/1000 second should be fine for your dogs.

There will still be a tiny lag, but it was said to be 0.1 second, which in my opinion is not too bad.

Yea I see that now. That means it would be more complicated to take photos, right? They are more for professionals?
No, it is not more complicated, and they are not for professionals.
OK now just saw this post. I will look at the Nikon again if your saying its easy to operate.

The Nikon 1 j1 is an interchangeable lens camera. It could be necessery to switch lenses in different situations.
If you are going to use this camera in auto mode ( like a P&S), then you will certainly have blurry pictures in less then bright weather. (but it's the same for all cameras in auto)
If you like to use the camera in some kind of auto mode for your running dogs, you will, as I told you, need a camera with a sports mode. (the Nikon hasn't it)
Depending on how far your dogs are running, you might need a camera with a decent zoom lens too.
Rudi

Last edited:
Regarding the so called shutter lag. The Panasonic FZ200, although being some kind of P&S (but a little larger and with many extras), it has no noticeable shutter lag and is
relatively fast focussing (of course not as fast as more expensive cameras).
Rudi

Regarding the so called shutter lag. The Panasonic FZ200, although being some kind of P&S (but a little larger and with many extras), it has no noticeable shutter lag and is
relatively fast focussing (of course not as fast as more expensive cameras).
Rudi

Thanks for all your input Rudi. I'll look that one up.

Your camera may have a "Move" or "Children" (or possible even an Action) setting, which should bias the camera toward a faster shutter speed (freezing motion more effectively) while sacrificing other qualities of the photographs.
thank for replying, unfortunately mine does not.

I don't understand most of these things (shutter lag, speed ISO, etc). And Im confused as the Nikon is rated better but yet the Panasonic is more money...

I'm happy to go over this again.

Your first post told me that what you are most concerned about is shutter LAG, NOT SPEED. Shutter lag is the time it takes for the camera to respond between the time you press the button and the time it actually makes the capture. There are reasons for this lag time, but suffice it to say you will experience an undesirable lag in time with the less expensive cameras.

The posters who thought you wanted a faster shutter speed were not helping, IMO, and the conversation went off into the weeds.

Anyway; I went looking for reviews about the lag time specifically, and most reviews that I read said that the Nikon 1 had a very short lag time, similar to a DSLR.

Never mind the shutter speed rating, because as I said; you're not taking pictures of bullets, so any speed between 1/250 second to 1/1000 second should be fine for your dogs.

There will still be a tiny lag, but it was said to be 0.1 second, which in my opinion is not too bad.
Thanks so much!

Your current camera can do that, how to make it do that is the question. Probably the best is to use the Auto mode and hope the camera recognizes the running dog or kids. For the camera to use the higher shutter speed you do need some decent sunlight. Your current camera will note that it has recognized movement if it shows the icon of a person with two lines behind it (Move). You also need to activate Tracking Focus on this camera so it will continue to focus on the moving subject. If you can learn to do this on your current camera then it will be easier on a camera with a few more options.
Following is the link to the guide for your current camera and I would look at pages 88 and 107 to help with blurry images of moving subjects.

For the shutter lag and that issue it is best handled with a better camera like the Nikon 1 as mentioned above.
Thanks so much!

Thanks so much!
I'll try putting it on auto focus tonight and see what it does...but I believe I tried that and the pictures still came out in a big blur. The blurr is my biggest problem as I just want clear clean picturs of the dogs running....

You should look at the EXIF data of pictures you have taken. Many programs can give this data, not sure what program you use to edit or look at your pictures.

Make sure you do not create blur with camera shake, take a picture of a static object and see that the image is sharp. If there is blur then you are moving the camera when taking the shot.

Go take shots of anything that is moving, cars, animals, and try making some different settings on the camera to find what gives less blur. The EXIF data can include a lot of information you don't need, but it can tell you what shutter speed the camera used and may tell you what mode the camera was in. So with your sample shots you can find out what camera setting you made gave the faster shutter speed. The faster shutter speeds can eliminate blur. Just keep taking pictures.

The faster shutter speeds can eliminate blur.
Granted.

How is a faster shutter speed going to solve her other problem?

The faster shutter speeds can eliminate blur.
Granted.

How is a faster shutter speed going to solve her other problem?

I agree that a faster shutter speed will not fix the shutter lag problem (at least what I think is the other problem).

My initial suggestion last week on resolving shutter lag was to either prefocus and, although I didn't mention it, anticipate how long before the subject arrives that you need to push the shutter button so that the subject is in the frame when the camera actually takes the picture.

The second suggestion made was to use a panning action and take multiple shots and pick the best (where the subject is in the frame).

To add to that: first option for when the subject is coming towards or receding from the camera and second option for when the subject is passing in front. No rules there, just things I tried with limited success when using a p&s. :)

What I hope is the OP will go try out some things with the camera and maybe post an image and go from there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back