Action Shot

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by RtS, May 30, 2005.

1. RtS

RtS TPF Noob!

Some of you might remember the picture of the silver Mustang launching and lifting its front wheels that I posted a couple weeks back. This shot was taken at the NHRA event in Topeka, KS yesterday, and made the Mustang shot I captured earlier look like a turtle taking off. And yes, it was LOUD. After I pressed the shutter release, my vision blurred to due the noise of the car driving by (I was about 5 ft from the lane he was driving in). Strange experience. Anyway...there are a few more on my website if anyone is interested. I need to select a few to send the magazine editor (thats how I got the prime shooting location!). Any opinions will be valuable!

[​IMG]

2. Conk

Conk TPF Noob!

Great shot Rts. I photographed these puppies in Mission B.C. standing halfway down the track and couldn't keep still without a monopod. Even with a monopod my whole head rattled. I had the popoff valve blow right in front of me once too and thought I was going to die. There's nothing quite like it, thats for sure. Photographing these guys with ear plugs are a must if you want to concentrate. :)

3. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

this image needs space and close DOF. IMO you have too tight of a crop and distracting background for me to focus on the car.

4. Neophyte Photographer

Neophyte Photographer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I think that you need to emphasize the car a bit more by reducing your DOF to blur your background. What a shame that the spoiler is out of the frame.

5. kilifila66

kilifila66 TPF Noob!

If the photo is cropped, i would recommend setting it back to the original image. If not, you might try standing a bit further down the track, frame the car more and the background a bit less. I just find the backround too busy for my taste. But I also understand the dificulty of getting that shot, it's fairly tough to do IMO. Otherwise though, nice exposure and color saturation.

6. RtS

RtS TPF Noob!

I agree with what you all are saying on the crop...I see it now, perhaps I can find some that are framed a bit better with the subject/background balance more favorable. What do you think of this one? Its a funny car, so its not as dramatic a launch, but you can tell by the heat from the exhaust it is at full tilt. Thanks again for your helpful comments.

[​IMG]

7. Neophyte Photographer

Neophyte Photographer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I like the second one better. The steam blurs most of the background for you, in a different...non DOF way. Too bad the crowd behind the spoiler isn't blurred. Good shot though