Actress casting headshot, critique please

Orange Elephant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some bad vibes with this, sorry.

Last edited:
I'm not sold on this square-ish aspect ratio, with the top of the head cropped off, and the chin riding so,so low in the frame. All those things together contribute to make her posture appear slumped and lethargic; the camera is far too close to here, and her NOSE really, really projects, especially since this was shot at f/2.8, and one eye is in-focus and the other eye is OBVIOUSLy out of focus. The square aspect ratio is utterly killing this shot, and the slumped shoulder in the lower right hand corner--with an exceptionally busy, brightly-patterned blouse is just killing this shot. I have no doubt that Kat has a very wonderful personality, but I do not know her, have never seen her, never met her--and my impression of her from this is bad posture, melancholy attitude, not sexy, blank, vacant eyes, and NO good look at her dentition (tooth shape/color/conformation), so as a casting head shot, this is not a good casting shot for many roles. The out of focus lock of hair on the forehead, the quick OOF on the hair on the camera right side make it look like her hair has split ends and frizziness.

I have a feeling that your own relationship with this actress might be coloring your judgement about the result; this photo is, to me, not flattering in any way at all. Does she really have a bad hair color job, with two-toned hair? Are the lines in her forehead actually that prominent in real life? Does she let her shoulders slump like that all the time? Why is the aspect ratio so odd, when a "tall" 8x10 aspect is standard?

In addition to all of the excellent points Derrel's raised above, I'll add lighting. The exposure on her face is nice, but when there's so much brighter area in the background with still enough detail to grab the eye, the viewer is constantly being pulled away from her and to the background.

Generally, unless you're going for a very specific look for a specific role, try and keep the camera more at eye level. You've placed her in a very subservient position in this image. As well, I'm firmly of the opinion that a headshot should contain the whole head!

I'm not a casting agent, nor an actor, nor am I a professional photographer, but I do have some reservations about the pose.

I know you explained about why you chose such a high camera angle, but it's not doing her any favors. I'm curious about why she likes it.

Nothing to be sorry for; you've asked for critique. How much value you put in what we say is entirely up to you. If you would like your titles changed to perhaps more accurately reflect what you meant, let me know, and I'll be happy to do that.

Wow, sorry guys.
You're sorry? What are you sorry about?

Now I suppose you're going to be all offended and stuff.

No need to be offended at all.

If you posted here for C&C, then you got some.

If you posted here to have your ego stroked, don't worry about it.

I agree, there's absolutely no need to apologize or to say sorry...you asked for free comments, you got some free commentary and observations about the shot. It's not the end of the world...this will probably be seen by only 30 to perhaps 40 people, tops. It's not the end of the world. I have no malice or bad feelings in my heart...I look at a photo. I say what it makes me think of...doesn't matter if you're a forum friend of mine or somebody I've never seen here before. When I was in college, we used to get LOADS of publicity photos for movies, stills from the movie, along with actor headshots for the stars...I've seen perhaps 1,000 actual glossy B&W 8x10 headshots of big-time studio actors and actresses. On-line I've seen many,many headshots--some better than others.

Rats! I also missed this one. :(
I have to start checking the forum more! :lol:

And never be sorry about any of your work. You did it to the best of your ability, and there is nothing wrong with that. Plus even the best photographers in the would have a lot of photos that just don't workout. So it's all good! :)
Keep shooting, and keep posting. There is not where to go but up!:1219:

Most reactions

Back