Actress Headshots c&c

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by JoshBeck, Aug 6, 2009.

1. JoshBeck

JoshBeck TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Living in LA, there's plenty of actors/actresses who need head shots so I figure it will be a good way to earn extra money.
    I've had my Canon Rebel xsi for about 6 months but this is the first real photo shoot I've done. I have no other equipment so we shot outside.
    Afterward, I did some Photoshop retouching, tell me what you think.

My friend Becky:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Well. Becky is attractive, but the concrete steps behind her are a tremendous distraction in the first two shots, and the horizontal framing is not what you want for a headshot....you want a clean, unobtrusive background and a vertical framing. A professional headshot needs to be a vertical,so the person's face is shown large and clearly. She has a slightly large nose, and the relatively short focal length and close-range shooting you did in the first two shots sort of exaggerates the size of her nose; you'd do much better to get away from the 55mm focal length from close-range, and move the camera back,and then crop in,or better yet, shoot her with a longer focal length setting like 200-300mm. Her expressions are also a bit 'off' in the first and third shots.

She's got good features, but the under-eye crescents in shot 1 ruin her 'look'. You need to frame her vertically, and try a reflector positioned under her chin to add some sparkle and dimension to her lovely eyes. Make sure her bra strap is tucked under the shoulder strap on her top,and avoid a necklace that simply drops out of the frame,as in photo 3.

3. ocular

ocular TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't see any image.

4. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't see the picture either.

You should know...

For actor/actress head shots, there is a very specific set of rules you have to follow.

Not following the rules can cause the actor/actress to get passed over for jobs...
    (If your clients are getting passed over for jobs, so will you.)

5. JoshBeck

JoshBeck TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I accidentally deleted the photos from my server, but they should be back up now. Thanks for the input. I agree with most of what Darrel said, but I don't know anything about lenses. I guess I'll have to look into that.

Also, I'm an actor as well and I've done my share of getting my own head shots taken so I'm aware of the "rules." But, it's a lot to think about as a photographer while you're shooting. I'm really just trying to get a best lighting without having a studio to work in. In reality, as soon as you get an agent, they're going to want you to take new headshots anyway so my goal is to take the photos that get the actors the meeting in the first place.

6. Nocojoe

Nocojoe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with the others, there are very specific sets of rules for headshots. There is a good tutorial about it on ModelMayhem somewhere...up there we go: ModelMayhem.com - All about Headshots

Read that over it should point you in the right direction as far as headshots go.

7. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A few actor friends have had their headshots redone and it seems that the trend in the "in thing" to do now is to have a landscape headshot instead of portrait. Probably just a fad, and might just be local.

8. gopal

gopal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    why she is made us to be afraid of her in third shot....? she looks more cute in second.

9. ocular

ocular TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    She's expressing an emotion, that's what actors do. Anyway I like it :thumbup:

10. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

You may like it but that picture is useless as a headshot.