Actually Using The Hasselblad 500C/M

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Dave Colangelo, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Good for you and sticking with film. With B&W film it is all about grain and contrast. Different developers will give you different results per grain and contrast. Different films will give you different results per grain and contrast. Different temps and agitation will also affect grain and contrast. Much of what you learn from Adams and exposure will actually help you with digital.

• Like Like x 1
  2. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, half the battle is knowing these kinds of things in advance, so you're already ahead. ;) Yeah, just get a few jugs of distilled water and eliminate that variable. Again: get a good photo thermometer so you're aware of your temps. You can fill a photo tray (or any plastic rectangular tray) with ice water and set your graduates in there once you've mixed your chemistry - that cools it down quickly. 20'C is 68'F, which a good default temp to start with and not hard to achieve. Warming it up can be done with 5-10 second zaps in the microwave, just use caution. Either way, play with it and rely on your thermometer to tell you when you're good to go.

Don't worry about stop bath with film, after you've finished with your development and dumped it, a cool rinse in your tap water for about a minute will suffice, and you already know you will have your fixer standing by next, mixed in distilled water. You might want to also use a product like LFN or Photo Flo for a final rinse (avoid home-brew rinse agents, it's tempting but seriously, the stuff is cheap and made to certain specs and will help you).

3. Dave Colangelo

Dave Colangelo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Another roll came back from the lab today (Ecktar 100) they did a solid job with it but I have not had any issue with color yet so I was not that worried. This roll has some of my best shots so far and the first one that I have considered blowing up and actually framing.

57790009LowRes.jpg

Things I learned this go round.

- A half an EV of over exposure works really nicely with the Ecktar 100. since the Hasselblad EV locked lens' can step by a half an EV its nice and easy.
    - The best pictures come to those who go find them.
    - Sunrise will reveal colors I have never seen before.

This coming weekend is busy with some family stuff so I most likely wont be out shooting.

Regards
    Dave

• Like Like x 3
  4. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Wonderful color rendering.

5. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The DNC has been making Philly the pace to be this week. I decided to go out and photograph what was happening since its a pretty neat event and I had a feeling there would be some photo worthy stuff. My office is pretty close to city hall so I headed down there on my lunch break to see what all the fuss was about. Ended up with Two Rolls on Monday and another today. You can check them out here and here in all their glory. The two rolls were shot on Illford 100 Professional and processed by the same lab that messed up the last roll. All things considered they did a MUCH better job with these rolls and Im loving the look of the film. The lunch break rounded out with a nice conversation with a photographer that shot Hasselbalds for many years which was cool. I learned a lot about being fast with the meter and even faster setting the EV on the camera. Ill admit that in my haste some pics were shot at aperture/speed combos I may not have intended on. A few were out of focus in my haste as well but most came out quite nicely.

here are my two favorite shots from the day,

59860002small.jpg

59860011small.jpg

Regards
    Dave

6. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Nice. Practice and repetition will greatly increase your speed and exposure accuracy.

7. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Its been a while since I have updated this, I was at the beach 2 weekends ago and ready to shoot but a stomach bug kept me in the house for most of the weekend. As such I only was able to get a few shots and no rolls were finished so there was nothing to develop. I was however at the air and space museum this past weekend while on a visit to DC (as a pilot I was like a kid in a candy store there, if you are in the area its a must to check out), I got to see one of the Hasselblads used on the Apollo missions which was a real highlight. The Hasselblad ELM was the camera of choice for the Apollo missions, nasa was kind enough to release all the photos recently, you can see them here. Anyway, heres the actually camera

The Camera
    DSC_0041.jpg
    The film backs
    DSC_0043.jpg
    Here is a pic of the lunar surface camera
    DSC_0044.jpg

Another thing I thought was pretty funny was this checklist (see the first item on the smaller card)
    DSC_0047.jpg

I hope to finish off the rolls this weekend and get the roll of slide film developed.

Regards
    Dave

• Like Like x 1
  8. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    After 15mins of dicking around trying to load the film magazine, I gave up and picked up the Sony RX1R2 instead.

9. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Incidentally, I saw a digital back for the 500C on Ebay recently for $600. I sweat when I think of what they used to cost.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So I got some of the rolls back from the other weekend and I had the chance to run a roll of Fuji Velvia 50 which I find has a bit more of a blue tone to it than the Ecktar I have been using up till now. It ran nicely and I cant complain with the limited exception of it being almost twice the price of the Ecktar which is a bit frustrating. Anyway the highlight shot was another shot of the chairs, in this case the red was may more bold than the Ecktar,

67400007Small.jpg

I also got a roll of Ecktar in that weekend during sunrise but ill admit I was not floored by any of the shots. It was so hot and humid out that morning (even before the sun came up) I think i was just irritated and in a rush and it showed in the outcome.

Regards
    Dave

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So its been a little while since I have updated this, the end of summer always signals a bit of a downturn in photography for me and this year work has really been keeping me busy but I have tried to shoot a few rolls here and there. Im hopefully heading up to VT to see the foliage next weekend and will be bringing the hassie no question! Here are some shots from around Philly which I think I over exposed a bit and I may have adamantly been in a bit of a rush.

I was up in VT a few weeks ago and shot two really nice rolls you can see here and here my favorite shot was this one

71190005-min.JPG

Im hoping the foliage in VT holds for next weekend (as well as the weather). Right now I have lots of Ecktar 100 and ill get some fuji slide film and really work on color but we shall see.

Regards
    Dave

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit

So the weather ended up holding, and the flight up to VT was a great time. There is nothing quite like flying a tiny Piper Archer 1000 Ft. over a 747 coming into KLGA. We got to chase the hurricane back which was pretty cool to fly next to as it moved out to sea. But none the less I had a great time with the 'blad up in VT again. Only shot 2 rolls (here and here) and learned a few key things. A hazy sky has a big impact on things, trees look way better up close in the fall, the 250mm is a nice lens for shooting from a mountain top.

Lots of other things have been going on around Philly and I have been trying to get out and about as much as I can. The midtown festival got a roll of Illford 100 which was a lot of fun. The Clinton rally the night before the election was a good opportunity for me to try out some 3200 ISO Ilford and a great lesson in low light shooting. To be honest most of the shots came out pretty terrible but I learned just how hard it was to focus in low light even with the Matt-D screen. The rolls can be seen here. I also added some more shots to my other philly street photo album from this past weekend.

One of the better shots from the series (and quite forum appropriate),
    89190010-min.JPG

Regards
    Dave