Actually Using The Hasselblad 500C/M

Alan
I think ball vs. pan is a personal thing.
I happen to NOT like ball heads, as I cannot adjust it accurately or reliably. As you said, it moves in 2 axis at once, which is the problem for me. If I want to change the elevation, I don't want it to accidentally tilt to the side.
But I will use my ball head when I am carrying the tripod for any distance, as it is the lightest head that I own.

Alan
I think ball vs. pan is a personal thing.
I happen to NOT like ball heads, as I cannot adjust it accurately or reliably. As you said, it moves in 2 axis at once, which is the problem for me. If I want to change the elevation, I don't want it to accidentally tilt to the side.
But I will use my ball head when I am carrying the tripod for any distance, as it is the lightest head that I own.
Amen! I really prefer 3-axis heads, a la Bogen 3047. I own several ball heads, including a Bogen 3038.

This past weekend, I was out and found a 1973 Hassy 500 C/M with a "chrome" 80mm f/2.8. Taking it out this weekend after the PM 45 (sans meter) arrives. I owned one before, but foolishly let it go.

I finally got out and had some fun with this bad boy... Pictures coming when the roll is done. This is perhaps the most cumbersome lens in the system. Ultimately its a 500mm F/8 slow focusing, top heavy, behemoth. Due to the large amount of force needed to focus getting birds in flight is not really an option (or will take a great deal of luck). It takes quite a it of patience and you really need to anticipate the birds movement to get it in front of the lens, and in focus when you take the shot. Its been quite hot here in the north east recently, even at the shore, so sitting outside in the heat and sun for a long time really gets to you.

More to come soon, but until then heres a pic of it in action.

IMG_6529.JPG

This is one of those abandoned commercial buildings (former bank on the right) in southwest Detroit. Someone evidently wanted to use it for something else, but that, too, has been abandoned.

W.%20Jefferson%20Ave.%20Building%20Detroit%20-%20Adobe_zpsdy1lz2zj.jpg

Most reactions

Back