Adaptability Nikon Body other lenses

NavyDan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just bought a camera bag at a garage sale and it had a camera, lenses, flash and filters in it!! My question is the lenses is a Quantaray tech 10 cn AF (yup, canon body) 70-300, is an adapter or new ring available to get it to work on my Nikon DS5000? Seems like too nice a lens to just have sit around. Thanks.

Most lenses CAN be adapted, but they also will usually require an optical element in the adapter to maintain infinity focus.

They are available, but chances are they'd cost more than a Nikon version of that lens purchased off of eBay. Quantaray is low-end Sigma gear.

Thank you. Sounds like I'll just put the body and lens on Craigs list.

You might also try a reversing ring. Just get a ring with the the right combo of diameter sizes and reverse it for a macro. Manual focus, of course, and you'll be using a tripod anyway, but for the cost of a reversing ring, who knows, it might be o.k. for that.

I would also be tempted to try the flash. It could work as a second remote flash with an RF trigger. What are the filters?

Blue, uv, uv haze, soft focus filters. Good idea about the flash as a slave. Its a nice one, though of course "the shoe doesn't fit".

Nikon body is the worst for adapting lenses designed for other cameras. The reason is that Nikon has the longest flange to sensor (film) distance and thus lenses for other cameras can't focus to infinity without adding some lens.

^^^^^ What he said.

The Nikons mount their lenses farther from the sensor plane than other makes. You can get an adapter to mount a Nikon lens on a Canon body, it just has to fit the flanges on both sides, and it's easy to mount a lens farther away. It's rather difficult to suck a lens into the material so you can mount it closer than the body's flange. :) Where are those 4th-dimensional mount adapters, anyway??

As stated, adapters with a correcting lens exist, but they add undesired effects, and are probably not worth the money.

Most reactions

Back