Adapters to use FD lenses on EF mounts

Pav10566

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings, I was wondering whether anyone had some hands-on experience with these adapters. You have the kinds with an optical glass and those without. I'm led to believe that the ones without will not focus to infinity...only for macro then. But can you still focus at intermediate distances , 2-8 meters for example (6 to 30 feet)? I guess the ones with optical glass will influence the quality of the picture and has a correction factor as well. Anyway, please let me know your thoughts..I'd like to use my old lightfast lenses on my digital cameras...I know that I will have to work manually but that is no problem as I also still use old cameras for analogic prints.

The glass corrects for the different FFD (Flange Focus Distance) between the FD/FL mount (42mm) and the EF mount (44mm).

No glass, no infinity focus.
The adapters with optical glass maintain infinity focus.
The quality of the glass influences image quality.
The better the quality of the glass, the more an adapter costs.

The best FD to EF adapters were made by Canon back in the mid to late 1980's when the EF mount was introduced (1987).
Here 25+ years later there aren't many of the Canon adapters around, and those that pop up on the used gear market tend to get sold real quick.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back