Adapting flash bulb system for theater

OP, you didn't put down where you are at nor where this production is being done. Have you considered going to a brick and mortar photography shop that handles used gear? Our local shop the owner is a prolific collector. Just about anything you can think of even up to and including a full size 1920's theater movie projector. He has happily lent cameras as props to the high school where my daughter was in drama as well as to some of the local theater groups. All he asks is a line with his stores name as supplying some of the props on the hand bill.

... absolute adherence to making sure to use the correct the props is not the goal here, it's to entertain the local people that will not care about what cameras the extras in the street scene are using. :) They will be watching their friends and families perform a play, not judging the correctness of the props used.

I see. The dumb local yokels won't know the difference anyway so why bother being accurate?

It must be nice being so brilliant on such a wide range of topics.

... absolute adherence to making sure to use the correct the props is not the goal here, it's to entertain the local people that will not care about what cameras the extras in the street scene are using. :) They will be watching their friends and families perform a play, not judging the correctness of the props used.

I see. The dumb local yokels won't know the difference anyway so why bother being accurate?

It must be nice being so brilliant on such a wide range of topics.
Have you ever been involved in community theater? Are you speaking from experience or do you just think all people are dumb locals?
I think they are intelligent people with better things to do than judge a performance by the props used.

Actually YES.

I've been involved in the theatrical arts for 40 years, summer stock, community theater, college theater as well as professional theater. Not once was I a part of any production that they didn't try to get it right. That is why every theatrical group no matter what the status has a list of people/businesses who are happy to lend props of various types to make the production successful. The one time that authenticity is second is when safety comes first. Depending on that type of prop it may be a stage safe item or an item that is handled by one special person before, during and after every performance,

Actually YES.

I've been involved in the theatrical arts for 40 years, summer stock, community theater, college theater as well as professional theater. Not once was I a part of any production that they didn't try to get it right. That is why every theatrical group no matter what the status has a list of people/businesses who are happy to lend props of various types to make the production successful. The one time that authenticity is second is when safety comes first. Depending on that type of prop it may be a stage safe item or an item that is handled by one special person before, during and after every performance,
The question was to Cumpur, not you, I guess you missed that there was a quote in the post. :) Thanks though.

Open forum free for any and all with KNOWLEDGE to post to. Which makes me wonder why you are posting. ;) Thanks though.

Maybe the OP takes pride in this, whatever the size or location of the production, and wants something to be as authentic as possible.

I agree with that, the key being "as possible" considering a budget they have to work within.

Maybe the OP takes pride in this, whatever the size or location of the production, and wants something to be as authentic as possible.

Agreed. When an inauthentic and obvious prop is used then it attracts attention and breaks the suspension of disbelief.
Prop masters try very hard to match props to the production.

Agreed. When an inauthentic and obvious prop is used then it attracts attention and breaks the suspension of disbelief.
Prop masters try very hard to match props to the production.
Yes. Absolutely. But not at the cost of breaking the bank for the acquisition of some extremely valuable antique. That's why they make their own props on many shows, movies and plays. Star Trek used parts of a razor as the nacells on the original Enterprise. The phasers and tricorders were made of blocks of wood.
The use of paste jewelry is common in film and theater. Is it what the Queen actually wore? No. Does it matter? No.

Have you ever been involved in community theater? Are you speaking from experience or do you just think all people are dumb locals?
I think they are intelligent people with better things to do than judge a performance by the props used.

I have been involved in quite a bit of theater, film and television production, yes.

My comment about locals was an example of sarcasm meant to reflect the arrogance that comes across from YOUR posts, not my personal opinion. But, I think you already knew that.

Why don't you just let others discuss what they wish to discuss? If members of this forum wish to discuss vintage camera hardware used as theatrical props then ... will it kill you to just let them discuss it?

Last edited:

I have been involved in quite a bit of theater, film and television production, yes.

My comment about locals was an example of sarcasm meant to reflect the arrogance that comes across from YOUR posts, not my personal opinion. But, I think you already knew that.

Why don't you just let others discuss what they wish to discuss? If members of this forum wish to discuss vintage camera hardware used as theatrical props then ... will it kill you to just let them discuss it?
I don't remember telling anyone what to discuss and what not to discuss, in fact I was discussing it too. Imagine that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back