Adapting flash bulb system for theater

My point on adapting an electronic flash into one of the old bulb flash units was basically two reasons.

Flash bulbs can explode (especially if you are trying to go complete authentic with non-plastic covered units). You don't want blue color bulbs - that was for color film and your photographer would be shooting black & white.

If the setting is very early in the history of the flash bulb then they were the screw in type. I never used those, but I have used the bayonet type and those we would just pop out onto the floor and let people step on them. In either case a just-used flash bulb is hot and I've burned my fingers a time or two and broken a number of used bulbs on the floor.

An older style flash bulb unit with the large screw in bulb could easily hold a small electronic flash head that could be fired whenever required by pushing a button. The actor could simulate changing the "used" bulb after each shot.

Now the good thing with the old flash bulb style units is they are very durable.

From what I've read about the old days, among the folks who shot rapidly or repeatedly when using larger flashbulbs, a folded handkerchief was pretty common for protecting the hand when changing a still-hot flashbulb. Plenty of 1940's and 1950's literature I've read recommends using a hanky for removing the hot flashbulb when needing to shoot a quick second or third shot. Larger bulbs, like those that would have been commonly used with sheet film press cameras, were pretty hot right after the shot was fired. I can see that simulating a flash bulb in use by means of a small electronic flash bit fitted inside the reflector on a modified, era-specific flashgun would probably be acceptable to many community theater directors. But hey...if actual, real flashbulbs must be used, then, well...

Last edited:
The one concern I would have with doing a modification would be the electronics you would have to fit inside. I'm not sure I would want to handle a homemade modified unit with a high voltage capacitor in it. If not properly done it could sure light up someones stage performance.

You can use a 12 volt LED like the cree xlamp LED and simple button press electronic on and off again set up to simulate a flash.

The one concern I would have with doing a modification would be the electronics you would have to fit inside. I'm not sure I would want to handle a homemade modified unit with a high voltage capacitor in it. If not properly done it could sure light up someones stage performance.

You don't need any electronics beyond a battery to fire a regular flashbulb. The high voltage capacitors (around 300+ volts) are used for electronic flash units. Capacitors were also used on the old Polaroid "Wink Light" flash which used a quick burst of about 45 volts shot through an incandescent type bulb normally rated for 12 volts. The quick shot of current made it "wink" brightly but was too brief to damage it. The Wink Light was not as bright as electronic flash or flashbulbs but it was smaller and lighter than electronic flashes of the day and didn't consume flashbulbs. When electronic flash units got smaller the Wink Light became obsolete.

A regular flashbulb (#25 or similar) will fire by simply connecting two or three 1.5 volt batteries to its base.

You don't need any electronics beyond a battery to fire a regular flashbulb. The high voltage capacitors (around 300+ volts) are used for electronic flash units. Capacitors were also used on the old Polaroid "Wink Light" flash which used a quick burst of about 45 volts shot through an incandescent type bulb normally rated for 12 volts. The quick shot of current made it "wink" brightly but was too brief to damage it. The Wink Light was not as bright as electronic flash or flashbulbs but it was smaller and lighter than electronic flashes of the day and didn't consume flashbulbs. When electronic flash units got smaller the Wink Light became obsolete.

A regular flashbulb (#25 or similar) will fire by simply connecting two or three 1.5 volt batteries to its base.
True but some seem to be talking about modifying a modern flash to fit in a bulb flash handle. A Graphex 3 cell flash handle would have plenty of room to do so, it would be dangerous if you didn't know what you are doing. I mention the Graphex 3 cell as the are simple and cheap to find. The originals aren't cheap but because of their popularity there are lots of reproductions on the market.

Then just get a little Vivitar flash on eBay for a few bucks, tape it the side of the camera and push the little test button to make it flash.

Most reactions

Back