Addicted to wide-angle!

Dubious Drewski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some newer shots with my Sigma 10-20 (mostly at 10mm, what else would you use that lens for?) I'm loving the perspectives you can get through it. I might have a new favourite lens!

But guys, please give me criticisms. I love those.

1. While driving through Calgary, my friends and I saw this ... sculpture/structure/art piece ... thing and all did a double-take. We immediately pulled over beside the grassy lawn on which the structure stood and excitedly hopped out with our tripods and gear. Not more than ten minutes later, one of those half-cop/rent-a-cops in a pseudo-cop-car car pulls up beside us. He sits there on the street, watches us and repeatedly flashes his lights at us, but never gets out of the car. We all wave at him and continue shooting. After messing up our shots with his lights for about 5 minutes and us not really responding, he finally drives off. I then got my shot:
2922213398_face72483b_o.jpg

2. My friend Leanne never seems to have her tripod on her, so I then let her borrow mine. It was then I saw this shot, facing 90 degrees left of the freaky upside down church. I had no choice but to sit on the ground and do a two-second exposure to get this shot:
2922190022_4c4bb4119c_o.jpg

3. Feeling confident with five of us (And being armed with pointy-ended tripods), we braved Calgary's industrial area that night. We weren't near any streets at all when some guy in a Ford slowly pulled up from within the industrial park. He stopped, looked at us for a moment and then rolled down his window to ask "So, are you guys from Greenpeace or something? You gonna hang a banner?". A bunch of people with weird equipment in the shadows around an industrial plant at night; yeah I can see why he asked.
2922195328_e944bc5de0_o.jpg

4. The next night, the fog was nowhere to be seen, and our view of Calgary was magnificent. So I thought I'd try a panorama ... at a 10mm focal length. It worked, mostly. I was with two of my other friends at this location, but they were taking their panoramas over 100 feet away from where I was. As security against any potential muggers, I decided that I needed to look mean. So I pulled the hood of my jacket over my head and scowled at anyone who walked even near me. I didn't care if I looked like a jerk, I was taking no chances! I'm so naive sometimes.
2922195304_2b8fe28271_b.jpg

5. While in Humpty's the next morning, waiting for the food, people start to do things to entertain themselves:
2922213378_ae32029667.jpg

6. And I don't remember, have you guys seen this one yet?
2841105354_ba8d55e5c7.jpg

love them, and love that lens!

Some really interesting pictures.
The first and third I really like. Did you do a lot of PP with them?

Awesome shots and fun back stories! Thanks for the adventure ;) but,...

Don't make me Jones for a super wide angle! :lol: You've really done it justice IMO.

-Shea

thats it, i have to get this lens :lmao:

nice shots for sure

Hey, thanks guys. Your comments make me glow, but what about the criticism? Tell me what I could do better!

Asc, thank you, and no, I did nearly no PP on any of these pictures. Unless you count noise reduction and a touch of highpass sharpening. Well ok, I concede that #4 is definitely photoshopped to bits. Ok, you got me! My camera can't shoot 380 degrees at once. :( Even #6 has minimal postwork, if you can believe that! I removed a lens flare and colour-balanced the whole thing, but that's it. After I ran to the camera after the 30 second exposure was done that night, I looked at my lcd and my jaw dropped, I tell ya.

Great shots man!!! Specially the 1st, I do have the same lens shooting on a D80-- just watch out for distortion on the edges: (look how long subjects body):

DSC_0755.jpg

After I ran to the camera after the 30 second exposure was done that night, I looked at my lcd and my jaw dropped, I tell ya.

That's amazingly great!!!
The quality and type of lighting is almost rendered video game look.
I LOVE it.

Asc: I know, eh? The lighting look so ... fake. I'm sure everyone who looks at that shot thinks "Man, he really overdid the postwork on that shot!". It bugs me to know people are thinking that.

Katanapilot: Bah the distortion isn't something to watch out for, it's something to make use of! I love the look it creates, like what happened here in the freaky-fluke-lens-flare shot I captured on that same Calgary trip:
2922195324_642529cca7_o.jpg

This is NOT photoshopped! That's a lens flare! The distortion of their bodies here makes it look like they're bending space-time as they initiate the warp drive, doesn't it?

you have actually posted that last one already i remember it. great shots, especially the pano

Great shots, but I love your narrative just as much. Adds much more to the story behind the pictures

The 2nd and pan photos are really good. wide angle is amazing

Most reactions

Back