Adequate camera

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Noveltylife, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Noveltylife

Noveltylife TPF Noob!

just hoping someone can give me advice on this....I've only shot on a few different cameras..one being a maxxum 3 and an old school pentax...both handled well but I'm looking to upgrade because i want to get into some freelance work while in school.. what would be an ideal camera for non professional freelance work...I want to keep it under $400 or so ( I'm getting all my equpitment from ebay) I'm thinking about a maxxum 5 or a rebel anyone have any suggestions?

2. Unimaxium

Unimaxium TPF Noob!

Northeastern University, originally from Philly
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm unfamiliar with minoltas, but as for canons...

I would stray away from rebels. They are very consumer-oriented and they lack some features that can become useful at times... basically they're easily outgrowable. But I would strongly recommend canon's one step higher, the Elan 7N (or 7NE). That's what I have, and I love it. I couldn't justify spending all the extra money for a EOS 3V or 1V, when the 7N does most of the same stuff.

You might be able to find some good used stuff too.

And as for lenses, which you'll have to look at as well (I've heard the 7N's kit lens isn't that good), it might be best to start with the 50mm 1.8 (it's a nice yet cheap lens), and use that as a starting point to figure out what kinds of lenses best suit the kind of photography you like to do. And by that point you'll be able to save up a little more money to buy a nice lens.

Just my 2ยข

3. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you not stuck on Minnis or Canons, a very good Nikon F3 and a few lenses can be had for your price range. The F3 is a very rugged pro body with pro level features. A full line of accessories can be had for it from interchangeable viewfinders, view screens, motor drive, bulk film backs and on and on. It will mount and meter any lens in Nikons inventory from the late '70s through the latest AF lenses except G series lenses. (AF lenses will still focus in MF mode) Good luck, let us know what you do.