Adirondack Milky Way and Perseid Meteor Shower

jsecordphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So last night (the last few actually) was amazing. This spot in upstate NY has been on my to-do list for over a year now, and last night we made the 4 hour/4 mile hike up to Indian Head. PhotoPills is the best $10 I've ever spent as a landscape photographer, being able to plan out (like 5 months ago) the exactly date and time I needed to be here for the composition to line up with the Milky Way is SO awesome. The meteor that streaked through my frame, the brightest one I saw all night, was just the icing on the cake. Being up on this cliff looking down at the lake, with the sound of Loons calling, and countless stars overhead....yeah, not a bad night.

indianhead2.jpg

Ohhh, my--that's a NICE one! What a great composition.

thanks Derrel! As soon as I saw a photo from this spot posted on Instagram, I knew I had to shoot there. It was SO dark.

I've posted a few MW shots but we have almost no way to get to zero dark thirty...short of going into Tate's Hell and I'm not going there at night for anything...scary enough in the daytime.

Like the composition, place, etc., but I think the whole image overall is way too light by nearly a full stop in the milky way itself and about a 1/2 stop in the bottom. Just me, I guess.

Like the composition, place, etc., but I think the whole image overall is way too light by nearly a full stop in the milky way itself and about a 1/2 stop in the bottom. Just me, I guess.

I appreciate the feedback. Brightness is something I struggle with often, often leaning towards a bit too bright, trying to get it to look ok between different devices. A lot of times it'll look perfect on my monitor, but a bit too dark on my phone, and I know a lot (probably the majority) of my audience will be looking at my photos while browsing FB or whatever on their phones.

edit: Also, I did only the most subtle curve adjustments on the actual Milky Way. Even after shooting at night for a while now, it still amazes me how much the MW core pops when shooting in dark skies.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the nomination for POTM

So last night (the last few actually) was amazing. This spot in upstate NY has been on my to-do list for over a year now, and last night we made the 4 hour/4 mile hike up to Indian Head. PhotoPills is the best $10 I've ever spent as a landscape photographer, being able to plan out (like 5 months ago) the exactly date and time I needed to be here for the composition to line up with the Milky Way is SO awesome. The meteor that streaked through my frame, the brightest one I saw all night, was just the icing on the cake. Being up on this cliff looking down at the lake, with the sound of Loons calling, and countless stars overhead....yeah, not a bad night.

indianhead2.jpg
Just amazingly beautiful!

Most reactions

Back