Adjustmet layers thumbnails shown as circle in Ps CS4

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by stealers, Aug 5, 2009.

1. stealers

stealers TPF Noob!

I noticed that when I add any adjustment layer like Curves or Brightness and contrast, etc., on the left hand side of the layer, instead of seeing the corresponding adj layer thumbnail, I see a half moon circle. Besides it ofcourse I see the mask thumb nail. How to get back the original thumbnail of the adj layer selected?

Second issue I see is, On the mask thumb nail if I paint with a brush with Black as foreground or invert the mask, paint with white brush doesn't see the masking happening. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

2. shmne

shmne No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I noticed that when I add any adjustment layer like Curves or Brightness and contrast, etc., on the left hand side of the layer, instead of seeing the corresponding adj layer thumbnail, I see a half moon circle. Besides it ofcourse I see the mask thumb nail. How to get back the original thumbnail of the adj layer selected?
    Just curious but why does it matter? An adjustment layer does nothing except adjust the layers bellow it so really there isn't anything to show. I'm trying to remember why they changed it, I think it is because they took the cookie out of CS4 so to show they were in fact adjustment layers still (Plus now they come with a free mask instantly! WIN!!)

Second issue I see is, On the mask thumb nail if I paint with a brush with Black as foreground or invert the mask, paint with white brush doesn't see the masking happening. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Not really sure what you mean but it always helps to check the following:

1. Make sure you have the right layer selected (Yeah laugh now, we've all done it)

2. Go into the toolbar and deselect the current selection, many times if you have made a previous selection and feathered it you can actually select half a pixel or less. What this means is you can't see the selection, and anything you try to paint with will only be able to paint in the selection.

3. Make sure you are painting on the mask, and not the adjustment layer.

4. Make sure your brush opacity is up to 100% to see if it is working.

5. Make sure you didn't lock the layer

6. Make sure the adjustment layer is actually doing something where you can make sure it is working.

Not really sure with what little info you've given what else could be going on, but these are the first steps to walk through.