Adobe are SCUM

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by kap55, Oct 24, 2017.

1. kap55

kap55 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've been using Lightroom via monthly subscription for a few years but have finally decided that it is time to move on. When I went to the Adobe site to cancel I was faced with a fairly significant cancellation fee. Turns out that the anniversary of my signing on with Adobe was Sep 31 and that they want 50% of the subscription fee until next Sep 31. The will automatically bill by credit card as soon as I cancel - I have no choice or say in the matter. The only time you can cancel penalty free is on the anniversary of your original signing.

I can understand being hit with a penalty if you cancel within the first year, but after that you should be able to quit any time without penalty. I know there must be fine print that makes what Adobe is doing legal - but they are still scum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    And they're not the only ones.

3. Tomasko

Tomasko No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    It's actually a yearly subscription, only paid monthly. I agree they should be MUCH more open about it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Guess you could always call your credit card company tell them you think your card has been compromised and ask them to issue a new one. Then let Adobe bill a closed card. :allteeth:

• Winner Winner x 3
  5. kap55

kap55 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I did not close the account just because I wanted to consider my options - one of which is doing exactly that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Waiting for the "usual suspects" here to come to the defense of Adobe...seems like no matter what kind of sh** Adobe pulls, there's a small group here who defends even the most-despicable actions that Adobe does...

7. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    @Derrel not just Adobe, it's anyone that you give authority to debit your account,. I absolutely refuse to grant anyone the right to debit my checking account, and maintain a separate credit card for those that force automatic billing on me. It's easier to dispute a credit card charge that you haven't paid then try to get your money back that's been drawn out of you bank account.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That’s good to know. Everyone always refers to it as the monthly plan... I’ve managed to avoid it so far.

9. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    But it is not a secret. I don't see why Adobe are at fault for people not reading before they buy.

If I was to rent anything, I would specifically ask what the exit terms are. It is not the rental company's responsibility to hammer the basics home when I am too lazy.

10. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I didn't even know that I HAD an anniversary date with Adobe. I've never sent chocolates, flowers- even a card! No wonder they're a bit cool with me, I suppose. o_O

You'll get no defense of Adobe here- have never like the rental model.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  11. pixmedic

pixmedic The Mustached Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    how is this an "adobe" thing?
    most cell phone plans do this, cable contracts, internet, satellite, gym memberships....
    not a new concept by any means.

i mean, come on guys....you sign a contract, but have no idea of what it actually entails?
    this is not an "adobe" issue, its a user error.
    i dont care for contracts much either, but I make sure I know what im getting into beforehand, and the ramifications if i decide to leave.

would you hold a photography client liable to pay a bill they signed a contract for, or would you let them out of the remaining 50% because they decided they wanted to get pictures reshot somewhere else even after you shot and produced great pictures?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

It’s software, not a gym membership. If I don’t want/need the latest and greatest version, no other company FORCES me to make that choice. Being forced to rent software is offensive to me (and others). I happily use a 10-year old word processor. Haven’t had to spend a penny on that software in that time. My needs are perfectly met. I would have spent $1,200 at 10/mo under a rental.

I do use and pay Adobe but I don’t have to like it!