Adobe Bridge

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by BoblyBill, Apr 2, 2008.

1. BoblyBill

BoblyBill TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have been using Adobe Bridge for developing my pictures for at least 4 months now, and now that I have a camera that can shoot RAW+JPEG have I noticed that it auto-corrects my RAW files (completely disregarding my sharpness, contrast, saturation, and color tone I have set up in the camera). Obviously, I have set those in camera settings for a reason. Is there a setting somewhere that will let me NOT auto-correct my shots? Bridge has streamlined my life, and I don't want to have to use the Canon software to convert my RAW files.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One major benefit of using RAW files, is that those 'in camera' settings are not applied and locked into the image.

When you shoot JPEG, those settings are applied to the image, then the image is compressed and saved.
    When you shoot RAW, those settings may be recorded but they are not locked into the image, so you have the option of changing them (in RAW editing software). Then when you 'convert' the RAW files...those settings are applied to the image at that time.

This gives you more control over the image.

I don't know anything about Bridge....but with most RAW software, you can apply the settings to many images at once, so it's really not as slow at it might seem.

I suggest having a look at Adobe Lightroom. It is a workflow software that makes it easy to deal with a lot of RAW files.

3. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Not sure but the DPP program (Canon users) that came with the camera may retain some of these settings? But as mike says the whole point of shooting RAW is that you do the processing on the PC not the camera.

Shoot RAW + JPG and your jpg images will retain the info you set in the camera.

Lightroom is a better workflow program though.

4. BoblyBill

BoblyBill TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with what both have said (this is also why I shoot RAW), but everyonce in a while, I would like to start processing the shot from where the camera left it. For example, lets say that I shot a picture and I had a certain contrast, sharpness, and color tone that I really liked, but the picture still needed some PS to come out the way I really wanted it. Now if I use the software that came with the camera, it would be able to retain those preferences and then I could transfer that file to PS to make my final changes instead of having duplicate those settings in Camera RAW (in Adobe Bridge). Does that makes sense? You are right, almost always I just want the raw data from the RAW so that I could do what I want with it, but sometimes the camera settings save me a step.

5. 250Gimp

250Gimp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I know that you can turn the auto correction off in Adobe Bridge, but I can't remember how...sorry. I am not sure if they will leave you with the camera adjusted image, or the RAW file with zero adjustments.

Cheers

6. BoblyBill

BoblyBill TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. I'm glad to know that at least it's an option.

7. bhop

bhop No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe i'm reading wrong, but it seems like you're using Bridge to process your images? It isn't meant to be a "developing" software, it's an organization/browsing/management tool...

8. Rand0m411

Rand0m411 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Do you have Bridge set to use high quality previews?

9. BoblyBill

BoblyBill TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    no. It ran much slower when I did.

10. Rand0m411

Rand0m411 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Are you processing in Bridge or Camera RAW thru bridge? Sorry for all the questions just trying to get the handle of whats happening to you.

The reason I ask is in Camera RAW preferences you can turn off "Apply Auto Tone Adjustments". You can also change "Apply Sharpening to : All Images" to "Preview Images Only".

11. BoblyBill

BoblyBill TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Camera RAW thru bridge. That might help a lot. thanks. I'll have to try that when I get home.