Adobe Lightroom, jpg compression problems, example

emile

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
http://emilerafael.com/blog/index.php?showimage=50

ok, see the line on girl's nose and the rest of her face, why do I get that?

I use Lightroom to export jpg and the quality is 100 per cent, why does it do that? I mean I have never seen such lines in Photoshop and it just looks bad.

Thank you!

I don't see the particular line you are referring to, but I think your complaint is noise. This image was shot at ISO 800. Noise is to be expected. I don't think it's really a problem here at all though. Make a print before you get discouraged. Pixel peeping at 100% is not the measure of a good print.

That's from using the fill light slider.

Also, if your camera has an option to shoot RAW, use it. That way you'll be able to take advantage of your camera and Lightroom.

That's from using the fill light slider.

Also, if your camera has an option to shoot RAW, use it. That way you'll be able to take advantage of your camera and Lightroom.

No, I just tried not touching the image at all and exporting it and her face is still outlined by this line, it appears in other images as well, so I feel it must be compression.

I don't see the particular line you are referring to, but I think your complaint is noise. This image was shot at ISO 800. Noise is to be expected. I don't think it's really a problem here at all though. Make a print before you get discouraged. Pixel peeping at 100% is not the measure of a good print.

it's not noise, her face has a distinct line that outlines it and separates from the background.

I see it and it could be a compression issue but I don't think thats it. I think it may be CA (chromatic abberation)... I usually see it when a dark object is right next to a super bright object. It's a lens issue... it's that red line on her face.

I don't use lightroom so I'm not sure if it has to correct CA but I know photoshop CS2 (and CS3) have a lens correction filter that can reduce the CA of an image.

I wanted to take your photo in photoshop and adjust the CA but you don't allow it so....

Looks like CA to me. It has a few compositional errors that put you in a position to be a candidate for stronger CA. effects

- Strong/overbearing rear lighting
- focus on the wall instead of her face
- and lets face it... Adobe Lightroom is not the best tool out there. I have it, but use it only as a last resort. It often gives me unwanted surprises in many of my pics... RAW or JPG.

I see it and it could be a compression issue but I don't think thats it. I think it may be CA (chromatic abberation)... I usually see it when a dark object is right next to a super bright object. It's a lens issue... it's that red line on her face.

I don't use lightroom so I'm not sure if it has to correct CA but I know photoshop CS2 (and CS3) have a lens correction filter that can reduce the CA of an image.

I wanted to take your photo in photoshop and adjust the CA but you don't allow it so....

Well, the line is not there until I export it in Lightroom, so I don't think it can really be a lens issue. However, exporting TIFF has the same problem for example.

How do you adjust CA?

Can you do us a favour and export the same image with the same size both at 100% from photoshop so we have a comparison? I for one find nothing at all even remotely wrong with the image quality wise. If you are talking about the tiny red line on her nose, it is almost certainly CA and can be removed in either lightroom of photoshop.

What it is not is a compression artefact. They look very different.

Well, the line is not there until I export it in Lightroom, so I don't think it can really be a lens issue. However, exporting TIFF has the same problem for example.

How do you adjust CA?

I don't use lightroom some maybe someone can point you to where the tool is located but in photoshop:

When the tool takes over your screen:

Adjust sparingly, and pay attention to your image on the left. The more you adjust one slider the more that it will affect the rest. Meaning that you may get rid of the red line but a green or blue one will appear elsewhere in the image. If the images above are not showing up I can go into more detail.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back