Adobe sRGB

pongerts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello again guys!

one quick question

Why is it, that when I shoot in the Adobe sRGB colorspace, I get less saturated and somewhat pale looking pictures?

(and just to mention, I do like how my D60 (or maybe all nikons) names them with an underscore(_) prefixed to the filename. ) ;)

Because you aren't using a colour managed program to view them. Try looking at them in a colour managed program that will interpret Adobe RGB, like LightRoom or Photoshop (I only say that because I have them; I'm pretty sure GIMP and Picasa do the same in this regard). The colours will then look normal.

The problem is very complicated, but put more simply, Adobe RGB has a large gamut of colours, but your monitor has a small one (sRGB). If the program you're using doesn't interpret the colours of the Adobe RGB image to render properly on your sRGB monitor, then they'll look brown and washed-out, especially the greens.

My advice is to shoot RAW, stay in colour managed apps during your editing and keep to ProPhoto RGB to preserve all of your colour information, then export to sRGB for general viewing on electronic devices.

thanks.

the thing is, even when viewing Adobe sRGB thru the viewscreen on the camera displays a less saturated photo compared to a picture that I shot on sRGBIII <<< (not exactly sure if this is the correct name, i don't have my camera with me.)

The colourspace is sRGB. And that's because the gamut of your viewscreen is also in sRGB, and it sounds like your camera isn't using colour management. Strange, that...

my photoshop instructor refers to adobe sRGB as ****RGB....just a thought

my photoshop instructor refers to adobe sRGB as ****RGB....just a thought

That's because with RAW and ProPhoto RGB, Adobe RGB isn't terribly useful. Well, unless you have a wide-gamut monitor; then you might want to view in Adobe RGB just to make use of that extra range of colours, and accurately print in a larger gamut of colours. But for us laymen on sRGB monitors, it's not very helpful. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back