Adorama or ebay?

polkaisrad!

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Now im not asking which place I should put my money because I know i could get a better deal on ebay. But, the real question is which store has more reliable used gear? Is adorama usually pretty honest on their used gear?

I've never purchased any used equipment from Adorama, but my assumption would be that they would be very careful about quality. They have a name to uphold and problems on the used equipment could hurt their business in general. Having said that, purchasing from a reputable buyer on Ebay is probably just as "safe".

I just took a quick look through Adorama's policies and found the following:
Used Equipment carries a 90 day Warranty

I've made only one used purchase from Adorama. It was a Mamiya RB with accessories. The camera arrived and I found no dark slide in the film back. I called and (to my surprise) they shipped one out right away, no charge. But again, this is just one experience.

I bought a yashica 124 G that was rated at whatever condition is in the middle (not good, but still inferred better than working condition (or it may've been working) and when I got it it had a crack in the focusing screen and the light meter doesn't work. But mechanically it does owrk and I do use it. (with a different camera as a light meter.

I bought a yashica 124 G that was rated at whatever condition is in the middle (not good, but still inferred better than working condition (or it may've been working) and when I got it it had a crack in the focusing screen and the light meter doesn't work. But mechanically it does owrk and I do use it. (with a different camera as a light meter. I was surprised by the crack and non-working light meter though

Personally ebay is the enemy. I have seen camera stores fail because of the advent of those money mongers. I mean to say that ebay may be good for purchasing muppet memorabilia, but I would not trust the site for purchasing something as precious as a camera. Camera stores do have a reputation to protect and they are super knowledgeable. "Buy locally and think globally".

Disclaimer: I have only bought seamless and diffusion off of the internet.

polkaisrad! said:
Is adorama usually pretty honest on their used gear?

I used to live about equal distance from B&H and Adorama. I've browsed their used equipment sections a couple times, though I think you will get much better deals usually on Ebay.

And all the times I've tried to sell my used gear to them, they say they weren't in need of any more of what I was trying to sell them.

I think keh.com is a better place to look for used stuff. People seem to all agree that their used equipment rating system is very conservative.

Most reactions

Back