Adorama Vs. B&H

Amazon sell equipment too. You have to look for Prime logo or "Ships from and sold by Amazon" note, it just another option

True.. but Amazon still don't provide any service except returns.

If we don't support specialty businesses like Adorama and B&H... they will not be there when we need them. They have access to many things that do not show up on Amazon... and decades of experience in photography and equipment, and are always willing to give advice when asked.

Amazon (which I use a lot) only sells stuff... no experience, and no advice!

I have ordered from both and they are both good. I just made a purchase today from adorama. First I couldn't decide who to buy the item from and then I realized adorama had it for 20 cents cheaper. so I went with the cheaper since I know I will get great customer service from both so it all came down on the price

I've never been to the Adorama store, although I've ordered from them a bit, but I go into the B&H store whenever I can as it is right near Penn Station, NYC.
It is difficult to estimate the size of the sales floor but the lighting department on the first floor seems about the size of a 7/11.
The actual camera department is on the second floor and is breath-taking.
Here are three shots the length of the dslr counter with 50+ associates. There are also counters for LF, high end, islands for smaller brands and more wallet-emptying stuff than you can imagine.

p1676552424-5.jpg

p1817327728-5.jpg

p1824217644-5.jpg

These pictures were taken after the 2 PM closing on a Friday so no new customers were streaming in and those there were being pressed to go down to the exit.
That explains the lack of crowds.
On Sunday, this floor is crowded like an elevator at close of business.

Last edited:
Really? If you check... half of the listings on Amazon go back to Adorama and B&H as the actual suppliers! And you will also get a lot more customer service out of Adorama and B&H than you will Amazon. The most Amazon will do for you is let you return an item, Adorama and B&H will answer questions and assist if possible.

As far as I know, B&H doesn't actually sell via Amazon? But I will of course defer to Henry's knowledge on this.

One disadvantage of buying from Adorama via Amazon, is that IF there is an issue with the item - which if it is a manufacturing defect is quite out of our control - we are not permitted by Amazon regulations to simply exchange. It has to be refunded, and then the customer needs to place a new order.

Really? If you check... half of the listings on Amazon go back to Adorama and B&H as the actual suppliers! And you will also get a lot more customer service out of Adorama and B&H than you will Amazon. The most Amazon will do for you is let you return an item, Adorama and B&H will answer questions and assist if possible.

But don't forget that Adorama sells ON Amazon too. I actually prefer buying from them via Amazon when purchasing more costly items because I can use Amazons 6 month no interest program. Customer support would still be through Adorama, not Amazon.

As far as I know, B&H doesn't actually sell via Amazon? But I will of course defer to Henry's knowledge on this.

One disadvantage of buying from Adorama via Amazon, is that IF there is an issue with the item - which if it is a manufacturing defect is quite out of our control - we are not permitted by Amazon regulations to simply exchange. It has to be refunded, and then the customer needs to place a new order.

I believe you are right! I was advocating buying from Adorama and B&H directly... rather than going through Amazon. I buy a lot through Amazon, but I do try to support those who will support me, if I need it.

But don't forget that Adorama sells ON Amazon too. I actually prefer buying from them via Amazon when purchasing more costly items because I can use Amazons 6 month no interest program. Customer support would still be through Adorama, not Amazon.

I didn't even know there was a 6-month no interest program... I have never needed it. Good to know, though. I do wonder if this falls under the "refund only if major issue" policy that Helen mentioned though.

I didn't even know there was a 6-month no interest program... I have never needed it. Good to know, though. I do wonder if this falls under the "refund only if major issue" policy that Helen mentioned though.

Not sure I understand?? What I was saying is that if you purchase from Adorama (or ANY retailer) via Amazon - rather than directly from the retailer's website, the retailer cannot give you a direct exchange within the retailer's returns period even if the goods are faulty (for example, in Adorama's case, the returns period is 30 days).

Amazon rules insist that you return the item, then wait for a refund then re-order.

BTW you can also buy interest-free directly from Adorama thru Bill-Me-Later

Last edited:

Not sure I understand?? What I was saying is that if you purchase from Adorama (or ANY retailer) via Amazon - rather than directly from the retailer's website, the retailer cannot give you a direct exchange within the retailer's returns period even if the goods are faulty (for example, in Adorama's case, the returns period is 30 days).

Amazon rules insist that you return the item, then wait for a refund then re-order.

Helen, I am not sure if you are addressing me.. or HughGuessWho? I agree with everything your wrote... so I am assuming HughGuessWho? (it is helpful to only quote the person you are replying to ... sometimes!) :)

Helen, I am not sure if you are addressing me.. or HughGuessWho? I agree with everything your wrote... so I am assuming HughGuessWho? (it is helpful to only quote the person you are replying to ... sometimes!) :)

Sorry - fixed it!

Yes, Amazon has their line of credit through GE. Most of the time, all purchases over $150.00 are interst free for 6 months.
As far as returns go, I have been dealing with Amazon for many years and have purchased hundreds of items from them without any issue or problems with returns or support. However, I try to purchase only from Amazon or when Amazon fulfills the order. I seldom purchase from 3rd parties.

For me it is B&H based on my experience with both.

I was not aware of that, thanks. Bill-Me-Later is another one of mt favorites.

To continue the support topic, I don't recall ever needing to contact B&H support of anything. However, I have contact Adorama several times via both phone and their online form. I have always received a quick and helpful response. Far better than most would expect these days when most vendors couldn't care less about their customers.

Most reactions

Back