Adorama

mallard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.uncensoredfreespeech.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
well, when it comes to a digital camera I think I am going to probably go with the Pentax K20D (any pros and cons or experience people have with this camera or Pentax DSLR would be appreciated) and the local camera store doesnt carry much pentax equipment (they said Pentax is having financial trouble and dont want to stock up on something that may go under) so I sent emails out to several online camera stores asking them if they can ship FedEx. I dont mind buying online under the strictest condition that IT MUST NOT BE SHIPPED VIA UPS!!! (its a long story so i wont get into it but i am hard and fast on that one). Adorama emailed back and said it would be no problem shipping FedEx.

Now, has anyone any experience with them? Their price isnt the best considering some of the other stores (that I havent heard of) but they seem pretty big so I just wanted some feedback on their service if anyone has any.

thanks in advance

I have bought all my stuff from them, excellent service!

Their price isnt the best considering some of the other stores

You'll always get what you pay for when you think like that. We're talking about expensive electronic equipment, not thrift store junk, and the prices are the prices. They're within a few dollars of each other at each REPUTABLE online retailer, and you won't find them for less.

I got my *istD from them and many many other items, they have excellent cusotmer service.

I want a K20D to!

(they said Pentax is having financial trouble and dont want to stock up on something that may go under)

This is not the first I have heard of this in the last few weeks. This should be a red flag for you. If they stop making the DSLR do you want to have a brand new one and no support or future development for it?

Not sure about this financial talk about Pentax. Could be turn or just salesperson talk. As for Adorama they are one of the better dealers in the US

Hoya aquired Pentax last year and they seem very interested in an on-going development of the Pentax name and products.

Thanks for the input everyone.

You'll always get what you pay for when you think like that. We're talking about expensive electronic equipment, not thrift store junk, and the prices are the prices. They're within a few dollars of each other at each REPUTABLE online retailer, and you won't find them for less.

I understand what youre saying, which is why Im only interested in a store like Adorama or B&H....I saw the same camera at a no-name store listed for half the "standard" price and just dont think the upcoming headache would be worth it. If a website isnt fully fleshed out with contact info and numbers to call (as opposed to just an email) then I wont do business.

This is not the first I have heard of this in the last few weeks. This should be a red flag for you. If they stop making the DSLR do you want to have a brand new one and no support or future development for it?

I also have some other pentax cameras and would like to use their lenses, but the problem arises: how much different coverage will they be on the DSLR since the CMOS chip insnt the same size as a 35mm frame? Another thing is I will need a tilt/shift lens. I emailed Kiev and they said they could ship FedEx....and it is about 500 instead of around 1500 for a similar lens for canon or nikon....BUT the canon and nikon cameras would have the same size CCD as 35mm film so coverage wouldnt be an issue for me (i want a wide angle tilt/shift)

Not sure about this financial talk about Pentax. Could be turn or just salesperson talk. As for Adorama they are one of the better dealers in the US

I was thinking the same thing.....I doubt Pentax is going anywhere and some camera store people think people only want nikon or canon and thus stock accordingly. The market is all about perception.

well, when it comes to a digital camera I think I am going to probably go with the Pentax K20D (any pros and cons or experience people have with this camera or Pentax DSLR would be appreciated) and the local camera store doesnt carry much pentax equipment (they said Pentax is having financial trouble and dont want to stock up on something that may go under) so I sent emails out to several online camera stores asking them if they can ship FedEx. I dont mind buying online under the strictest condition that IT MUST NOT BE SHIPPED VIA UPS!!! (its a long story so i wont get into it but i am hard and fast on that one). Adorama emailed back and said it would be no problem shipping FedEx.

Now, has anyone any experience with them? Their price isnt the best considering some of the other stores (that I havent heard of) but they seem pretty big so I just wanted some feedback on their service if anyone has any.

thanks in advance

I've been happy with pricing and service from Amazon -- but I make sure it comes directly from Amazon and not one of their secondary vendors.

I'll be really interested to see how those Kieve T/S lenses work out for you -- please post pix as you use them.

Samsung and Pentax DSLRs share a lot in common. I'd surmise that if Pentax did go under, their product line wouldn't just disappear. I'd also say it is highly unlikely that cameras equipped with the KAF2 mount suddenly become unavailable. Not to mention the thousands of compatible K mount manual lenses already out on the market.

Also

If Pentax did go under, would the camera purchased work any less? Nope.. I generally think people's concerns about a disappearing product line is stemming from the general public's NEED or WANT to continue the rat race of obsolescence. Konica Minolta is still around under Sony's branding.

When it comes down to it, you can't really be to concerned with the "future" when it comes to photography... you never know what will happen and just waste energy worrying. Just buy what makes you happy and deal with the changes as they come up.

I don't think all those Canon FD users really predicted that Canon would abandon that mount in favor for EF. You could very well feel safe with Canon/Nikon but you never know if they too will make a decision that will render current things obsolete. Its just not worth worrying about.

btw
Samsung has announced a few months ago a full frame DSLR in the works. I'd say Pentax will follow suite as well... so it is nice to know there $$$ being invested in R&D. Personally, I think Pentax needs a change in their marketing department. Good products but they are just not being driven to market properly.

Adorama and BH are two of the larger online retailers in NYC (and in the US) that are trust worthy. You shouldn't have any problems.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back