advance compact advice

graak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendation for advance compact cameras (sony rx100, fujifilm x20/x100, etc)? I've been doing more traveling lately and wanted to get into photography for fun. I'm not sure how serious I would take this so that's why I want to stay in the realm of advance compact. I want to play around with different functions and I feel like I'll be more willing to take it out more for any kind of outing if it's not a big camera for now. If I get more into it I'll buy a dslr. I would like to do more nature/landscape and night photography.

Thanks,
Graak

Oh price range is $700ish give or take.

bump up your budget and get the LX100

thanks for the replies. $100 more is not too bad. it is bigger and read not pocketable. i will wait until the reviews come out for both then probably like to see them physically side by side.

You know you can purchase compacts with interchangeable lenses. Maybe not pant pocket small, but certainly jacket pocket small. Most MFT's (Panasonic and Olympus), the new mirrorless Sony's and the Fuji E2 and XT1.

I shoot Fuji. I have FF dSLR's, MFT's ... but Fuji is a great compromise of size, quality and IQ. For a slightly larger than pant/shirt pocketable size you can get an ILC with much greater potential and much greater sensor size.

Gary

You know you can purchase compacts with interchangeable lenses. Maybe not pant pocket small, but certainly jacket pocket small. Most MFT's (Panasonic and Olympus), the new mirrorless Sony's and the Fuji E2 and XT1.

I shoot Fuji. I have FF dSLR's, MFT's ... but Fuji is a great compromise of size, quality and IQ. For a slightly larger than pant/shirt pocketable size you can get an ILC with much greater potential and much greater sensor size.

Gary
As long as you stick to small primes, or miniature zooms like the Panasonic 12-32mm (the GM-cameras' kit lens) or power zooms (Sony 16-50mm, one of the Olympus 14-42mm...). Otherwise, they won't be pocketable simply because the lens is too big.

Gary
i was looking at the fujifilm x-m1 for a while $500 not bad. i don't think i'll go into the x-e2 too much. granted x-e1 is only a $100 more. i main thing was how much i would really get into photography to justify the added cost of buying lenses. which leads me to the next question, if i do what prime lenses or miniature lens do you recommend for starter?

Gary
i was looking at the fujifilm x-m1 for a while $500 not bad. i don't think i'll go into the x-e2 too much. granted x-e1 is only a $100 more. i main thing was how much i would really get into photography to justify the added cost of buying lenses. which leads me to the next question, if i do what prime lenses or miniature lens do you recommend for starter?
Do you have an inkling about what you'd like to shoot? Fujinon make an inexpensive pancake, the 23mm f/2. It is very sharp and very small and very inexpensive ($299). The XM1 is an APS-C, X-Trans sensor, so the 27mm would have a FOV of a 40mm FF. I don't know much about the XA1 or XM1.

If you really need/want the setup to stay pocketable, you'll be limited to a very, very small selection of lenses. It will mostly be standard, semi-fast primes, and slow standadr zoom lenses with power zoom instead of mechanical zoom - so it's basically a fixed-lens compact camera again.

Do you have an inkling about what you'd like to shoot? Fujinon make an inexpensive pancake, the 23mm f/2. It is very sharp and very small and very inexpensive ($299). The XM1 is an APS-C, X-Trans sensor, so the 27mm would have a FOV of a 40mm FF. I don't know much about the XA1 or XM1.
Couldn't find any mention of a 23mm f/2 Fujinon lens, other than the one fixed to the X100, X100S and X100T.

Gary
mostly for traveling, hiking, scenery, night time street shooting. i might do a trip to the east coast this year or drive up to portland, Seattle, canada. go see the northern lights if weather permits.
ever shoot with the x-e1? is there a major difference for my purpose, from the m1 and e1? i know you said you don't shoot with it. i always heard that lenses for more important than the body.

If you really need/want the setup to stay pocketable, you'll be limited to a very, very small selection of lenses. It will mostly be standard, semi-fast primes, and slow standadr zoom lenses with power zoom instead of mechanical zoom - so it's basically a fixed-lens compact camera again.

Couldn't find any mention of a 23mm f/2 Fujinon lens, other than the one fixed to the X100, X100S and X100T.

the pocketablility is not a must i know i can just go with a couple of primes mainly when traveling or outing with friends but hiking i wouldn't mind bring bigger lenses. fixed camera might be the way to go. i have to really think of rather i would really invest more money in lenses or not is the issue with interchangeable lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back