Advanced compact digitals.

passerby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been searching for the manual compact cameras fitted with view finders - other than nikon and canon. Here are 3 cameras that I think interesting.

The first two, sigma DP1 and ricoh GR2 are fitted with fixed lens. The ricoh Gx200 fitted with zoom lens. Also which I just came across today is leica compact with no vie finder, I did not know they make one. The sad thing is - it seem leica is losing the fierce battle globally. (last link)

Anyway, while on Cnet I also saw the preview of nikon D3, very large camera but also impressive.

Ricoh GR II
http://www.cnettv.com/?hhTest=1&tag=hd_ts

Sigma DP-1

Ricoh GX200

Leica D-Lux 3

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, the decision would be between the Ricoh GX200 and the Canon G9. I've shot with a borrowed G9 and was pretty darn impressed especially if you already shoot with canon (RAW workflow and compatible flashes). I have yet to hold a GX200 because they are just so darn hard to find in the states. The Leica doesn't stack up.. unfortunately. I think there is also a new player in the high end P&S from Nikon.

Reidreviews.com has just did a writeup in the GX200 but it requires a subscription.

I saw in dpreview that the DP-1 sensor is almost the size of DSLR sensor. But with only a fixed lens I pass. You right the G9 is still the clear top advanced compact. Just wondering why won't others trying to catch up, maybe economically untenable?
I think I will buy the GX200 for next year holiday. Unless something else better shows up.

I liked the Sigma. The combination of a large CMOS chip, RAW shooting, and manual focus looks pretty sweet!!!

Just wondering why won't others trying to catch up, maybe economically untenable?

The market is just too small. Looking at just the specifications on the box, it is really difficult to sell a high end P&S to the regular consumer base. Most will either gravitate towards a lower cost P&S or spend a tiny bit more for an entry level DSLR. It is the same reasons why there is only one digital rangefinder in the market.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back