Advanced P&S?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by gtwosaints, Apr 23, 2008.

1. gtwosaints

gtwosaints Guest

Well, considering the fact that my house has been missing a digital camera for about a year, and that my sister's graduation is coming up, my family is in need of a camera. Since I can't get a job, this is my chance. I guess you can call it, "using" my parents' money to get started in photography.

I am looking for a camera at $300-ish or less with full manual controls (doesn't need manual focus), but also with an auto setting so my parents can use it as well. I don't know if my parents will have that money to spare, but if I can't talk them into it, I'll get the Canon A590 which has manual controls and auto controls.

Saying, I do get them to agree, what camera should I get? I'm pretty sure this is called an advanced P&S. I do not need interchangeable lenses as of now. I'll be shooting a variety of scenes from landscapes to night shots. I would prefer if it comes with a built-in flash or an external flash option, but if not, it's fine.

Any Ideas?

2. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Chip in a little of your own and buy a G-9.

3. gtwosaints

gtwosaints Guest

I could always just let my parents buy the A590 or a more recent version, and buy a film SLR for myself. Which route to take?

4. gtwosaints

gtwosaints Guest

Anyone else?

5. theadamsociety

theadamsociety TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Umm, I'd say buy the G9 or a Canon S5is
    I used a camera similiar to the S5is before switching to DSLR and have some pretty awesome shots from that cam.

As for the A590, its pretty much the best value for all the Canon P&S's at this time. Has face detection and some that crap and keeps up with the rest of the bunch as far as zoom (.2 more than most) and high ISO.

6. bahandi

bahandi TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    check out futureshop. some decent cams for under $300. I recently bought an Olympus 550 uz for $250 (cdn.)