Advertising....what do you think?

Reaction score
Website
www.e3photographystudio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok....so, I'm thinking about taking a bunch of my business cards and putting one on each of my neighbors doors. What do you think?? Is it crazy? People are always sticking biz cards in our doors for landscaping, home improvment, etc....but I'm not sure if it'd work for photography.

I was also thinking about taking some of our wedding postcard coupon things to a local bridal shop to see if they'd leave them out for customers to take. Do any of you do that?? I'm just trying to think of different ways to advertise that are cheap but affective. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've never seen people stick business cards into doors before...what's wrong with the mail box? If that's standard in your area, then go for it. I'd be more inclined to print up some fliers...just a one page add, and deliver them that way. Or the post cards, if you have those already.

Bridal shops would be an ideal place to advertise...if you can get in.

Bridal Shops probably get hit up all the time by starting out photographers, but it doesn't hurt to ask:) Just make sure you have a thick skin when going around and asking because I've found that there is a lot of rejection but every so often someone takes you up on what you're requesting. I'd make sure the postcards/flyers that you leave with them are high quality and look nice.

I think the door to door flyering/leaving biz cards with people would be less effective. It can work sometimes for things like auto shops and pizza places etc... because enough people need those services on a regular basis, but photography is very specialized and there just wouldn't be as many people biting and it would probably be a waste of time and $ for you. But that's just my opinion:)

What about offering a gift certificate for your services in an auction? Hopefully whoever won your gift certificate would like what you did and start spreading your name around to their friends.

I specialize in Children's photography and I always keep business cards and 4x5" postcard style coupons with me so that if I'm at the park or the mall or wherever and there are parents with their kids there I can give them one.

can u not post an ad in the local newspaper ? might be cheaper than printing lots and fliers although Big Mikes idea is probebly the best :)

I've never seen people stick business cards into doors before...what's wrong with the mail box?

Oh I know. It must be a phoenix thing b/c I've NEVER had this happen except here. It's really weird if you ask me. But I suppose it works for some businesses.

It can work sometimes for things like auto shops and pizza places etc... because enough people need those services on a regular basis, but photography is very specialized and there just wouldn't be as many people biting and it would probably be a waste of time and $ for you.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with April here... not saying that biz cards will have your phone ringing off the hook... but how expensive is it, really, to give cards to 100 of your neighbors. Biz cards are what, 7 cents a piece... so we're basically talking about $7, plus maybe an hour of your time to drop them off.

And even if one person calls you... if they're happy, they'll tell their friends, and so on... and before you know it, your word-of-mouth campaign is in full gear.

I'm just trying to think of different ways to advertise that are cheap but affective.
The place I'd start, if I were you, would be to contact (via phone) all of your former clients (weddings, portraits, etc.) and ask them if they know some people they could refer you to. As I'm fond of mentioning, one of my clients booked 6 weddings off of just one former client.

Referrals can definitely get your business rolling. So don't be shy.

Good luck.

What about offering a gift certificate for your services in an auction? Hopefully whoever won your gift certificate would like what you did and start spreading your name around to their friends.

I specialize in Children's photography and I always keep business cards and 4x5" postcard style coupons with me so that if I'm at the park or the mall or wherever and there are parents with their kids there I can give them one.

We are actually going to be doing that in April. My Mother-in-law's church is having a silent auction, and also give out a catalog with coupons. We're going to be putting in a coupon/ad in that catalog, so hopefully that will offer up so more business.

Maybe I'll just get a bunch of post card/coupons printed up again and leave them in strategic places. LOL Flyers are REALLY expensive, so I don't want to just throw those around. I save those for the people that are truly interested in our business. :lol: And as for the newspaper....it's pretty darn pricey here. :( I'm on such a tight budget, so newspapers are out for now.

The place I'd start, if I were you, would be to contact (via phone) all of your former clients (weddings, portraits, etc.) and ask them if they know some people they could refer you to. As I'm fond of mentioning, one of my clients booked 6 weddings off of just one former client.

Already done that. We've hit up ALL our friends and family in the area to tell their friends and stuff about us. We've even offered free sittings. Still nothing. Grrrrr.....It's very frustrating. Especially when we go to pay bills.

Have you thought about (or already have) joining a local club or professional organization? This might put you in touch with other photographers in your area. While they may be your competition...it may also open up some opportunities for you. For example, maybe you can give you name to a busy photographer who can refer business to you if they are too busy to take it.

An instructor of mine said that he joined an association and entered a contest. He won the contest which didn't mean much by itself...but the exposure that it gave him was invaluable. It was a snowball effect from there.

Have you thought about (or already have) joining a local club or professional organization? This might put you in touch with other photographers in your area. While they may be your competition...it may also open up some opportunities for you. For example, maybe you can give you name to a busy photographer who can refer business to you if they are too busy to take it.

An instructor of mine said that he joined an association and entered a contest. He won the contest which didn't mean much by itself...but the exposure that it gave him was invaluable. It was a snowball effect from there.

Makes sense to me. When I was a commercial shooter I turned down weddings left and right. I didn't do any consumer photography at all. However, I did provide referrals to a couple of wedding shooters that I knew would be up to the task and do a good job. They would send commercial work to me in return. Not that unusual.

I consider that very few people need photography. I set my radar to those that do. In my case it is art directors and editors. Be direct in your advertising as opposed to random.

I've never seen people stick business cards into doors before...what's wrong with the mail box?

Just a note, the post office will be the first to call if you put things in people's mail boxes. Go with door hangers if you want to leave anything.

If you know people who are having a baby, getting married, having a birthday party etc.... ask if they'd like some images. Free but they pay for the prints. Offer a freebie if they get you some business.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back