advertising??? where?

johnlo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jklimagery.com
where do you guys advertising?? I was thinkin about paying an ad in theKnot.com, maybe even on the feature page. But still unsure if I should do it or what?

I have my website, and then I did a lot of web searching with the sort of keywords I thought my potential clients might use. Of course I tried to use the keywords as often as possible on the site. You'll come up with lots of places like theknot.com, and many of them offer a free trial period or some sort of free listing. It's never as good as the pay listing, but it lets you try out the site. If a couple of clients say they found me through a particular site, then I'll upgrade to the paid listing. Last year 80% of my clients found me through one site (it was a free listing for about 6 months, and the upgraded listing for the last 6 months). The day after I upgraded to the pay listing I got a job through the site that paid 25 times what the upgrade cost. :)

I keep meaning to at least visit some local bridal shows, and maybe expecting moms type events. To get a booth at one is fairly expensive, and I'm pretty busy already. And actually the small amount of money I spend on web advertising (I think it was about $175 last year) is doing a great job bringing in the business. I'm going put together a portfolio of 16x20 portraits, and try to get them shown at various hot spots, where I think potential customers could see them.

This is something Im going to have to worry about later this year as well. Ive heard word of mouth is the best form of advertising, so im going to try to get a referal program going. Those that recommend me get a referal fee, which I havent really decided how much yet. Also I may try to work a deal out with pastors and priests in the area im moving to, and perhaps others involved in the process like caterors, b&b's, hairstylists, etc. Also for the first year I plan to have a large discount, like 32% off or something.

My goal for this year is to do some of the bridal fairs. While booths are expensive I have heard from several other wedding vendors that it is a great place to get a lot of exposure. I've advertised in the local newspaper and the yellow pages with okay results. Most of my clients come from referrals.

If you can get another vendor to refer you that works well too. Get to know the local florist, hairstylists, DJs and reception sites.

thanks for the greeat tips. I have thought about just doing referral and dropping business cards off at florist and etc... I guess no one here use theknot.

I forgot to mention earlier that we do a lot of advertising by charity donations. We've offered packages for fundraisers, raffles, etc and it really gets your name out there along with a good public image as well.

johnlo said:
I guess no one here use theknot.

I've been there; it does look like it would be a popular wedding site. They don't offer a free trial run, or at least didn't when I inquired. There are plenty of sites that I was able to try for free to see if they generated any business first.

ksmattfish said:
I've been there; it does look like it would be a popular wedding site. They don't offer a free trial run, or at least didn't when I inquired. There are plenty of sites that I was able to try for free to see if they generated any business first.

i totally agreed with you. after thinking it over and talking to my partner. we have decided not to advertise with them right now. just way too much money for something we are unsure if any business will be generated from there. plus the damn sale person so slow in returning calls. it took her 4 days to finally call. and still managed to be late for calling.

Pound the pavement--design a brochure in MS Word or Publisher and get them out there. I leave brochures in all those racks of real-estate and cars-for-sale ads in the entries of grocery stores and movie rental places. Email every single person you know and let them know you're starting to shoot weddings, and give them a brief rundown of your prices. It really helps if you have a website to refer them to as well. Then ask them to pass the info along to anyone they know who might be getting married or would have family or friends getting married, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back