Advertising

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a people watcher, and I always read new techniques on how to attract people to a product, I find it fascinating the things that cause people to purchase products and such.... so Nikon uses Ashton Kutcher.. they've been using him for a while... quite frankly, I think he does a pretty decent in the commercials... he's funny (in the stupid way that he is funny) and he shows that any idiot can use a Nikon...

so I've been waiting to see what Canon would counter with.. what big star are they going to use???? Justin Timberlake?? maybe the newly (but oldly) famous new kids on the block... maybe they will go with a big actor too.. like brad pitt or someone famous... who do they pick... avril lavigne.... thats a fail if you ask me... there once was a time was she was "famous" more for being a bad ass than anything... and what song of hers do they use.. the most annoying one.. boyfriend I think its called... frankly, I find the commercials lame.. (not that Nikons are much better) but its just her, taking pics of herself...

one thing I find fascinating though about these commercials.... they work... basic users who once thought a basic P&S was ok to use, no longer do... and we can see that when we see the uprise of people on this forum who "used a P&S but decided to move to a dslr" no plans of taking it professional, but want a cooler looking camera... cause the fact is, a good photographer can take a great pic with a P&S, its not the camera, its the shooter... but these commercials make people think its the camera...

Last edited:
I totally agree. In this day and age, companies will do anything to make more money. I had a Kodak P&S for a really long time and have had a Nikon D40x for about a year. I mainly bought it for more versatility and to one day hopefully move up from a passion to a career. I've begun selling pictures in some local shops and have done some engagement sessions. As an aside, I've sold about the same amount of photos I had taken with the Kodak as with the Nikon.

I think it basically comes down to the fact that people still feel the need to get the latest and greatest item and with TV and the internet, there are so many more ways for people to be told what to buy.

I just saw the Avril Lavigne commercial for the first time. Pretty bad.

Most reactions

Back