Advice (Car pics)

Zach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I'm Zach and I'm new to the whole photography thing. I took some pics of my '70 Chevelle with a Nikon E4600 digital camera. The 1st pic of my car is in the January '07 issue of the magazine Chevy High Performance. Let me know what you think, good or bad. Any general advice is appreciated, I don't have any specific questions yet. Thanks.
DSCN0612.jpg

chevelleX.jpg

DSCN0844.jpg

The first picture is excellent, the car is positioned well, the warm light and the colours in the background make for a top shot. Though it does look like some quick cloning was done in the bottom left corner.

The focus is off in the second shot and the angle just isn't working for it. In shot 1 the road is a lead in line to the image, in shot 2 the road really detracts from the car.

The composition in the third shot doesn't work for me. It's probably the angle of the whole thing, it might have worked better with a shallower DOF, not sure.

Nice car.

Thanks for the advice and complements. I'm new at this, what exactly does "quick cloning" and "shallower DOF" mean?

Cloning is taking one part of an image and using it to replace another part that you don't want. I might be wrong, but it appears that somebody has done this with the first image just to the left of the rear tyre in view.

DOF is an abbreviation for "depth of field". This is a measure of how much of the image is in focus. You make it shallower to emphasise part of the image. This is generally about having a wider aperture. Google "Depth of Field" or search for it here and you should get a good description.

Ok thanks, I see where you're talking about the "clone." That's actually an electrical box, for a subdivision that's going to be built there.

I agree with Azuth and my advice is: look at your framing. In the third picture, part of the front left tire is missing. If part of the car is not in the frame, it's usually for a reason (like you want to emphasize the left headlights in that last shot, right?, that's why the right side is 'missing'). But there's no reason to cut off a piece of the tire in that pic.

Really great car btw!!

pascal

Thanks for the advice, this really helps.

Firstly, what a beautiful car (I'm jealous)

Ok, as far as photo quality. The first shot is nice but, the lighting wasn't working for you and created alot of shadows on the body that I don't think are working for you. It's giving the body a wavy look that I'm sure is not the case. Compposition wise, it is great. I just probably would have used different lighting,

The second shot seems a bit out of focus, especially the undercarriage area.

Keep at it, you've got a gorgeous subject to work with:wink:

becmaclean said:
The first shot is nice but, the lighting wasn't working for you and created alot of shadows on the body that I don't think are working for you. It's giving the body a wavy look that I'm sure is not the case. Compposition wise, it is great. I just probably would have used different lighting.

I was trying to focus on the main body line, it seperated the wavy looking part and the smoother part of the pic. What lighting would be more effective? This was at sunset. I've heard sunrise and sunset with the sun at your back is the best?

Zach said:
I was trying to focus on the main body line, it seperated the wavy looking part and the smoother part of the pic. What lighting would be more effective? This was at sunset. I've heard sunrise and sunset with the sun at your back is the best?

Yes, shooting at sunset/sunrise normally does work best because you are avoiding the days' harshest lights. I'm wondering if perhaps you changed your camera angle in that same light, perhaps you would have gotten rid of those shadows. Also, what would have happened if you had shot the drivers side?? Either that or try shooting inside , if you have that capability.

Also, a side thought, if you had taken this picture a bit higheryou could have included more of the hood (which I think is a desireable attribute). You also would have hidden the drivers side front tires' white wall. I know you flipped them to show black walls but, you don't want to show the white walls. The only reason you want to show the undercarriage is if you are showing off something worth looking at ie: chrome oil pan etc

The picture I attached, from musclecar restorations, shows beautiful lines and notice barely any glare. While I like your background better, try maybe an overcast day??

Once again a beautiful car:wink:
Jeremy20Cortner20Muscle20Car20Resto.jpg

Thanks, I'll try that next time I go out.

in the first pic, sky is really good, not many shadows, and the white contrasts with the blue well. I think the angle of the car is fighting the light instead of working with it. turn the car 90 degrees and the camera following it and youll have light that compliments the cars lines instead of going agianst them

still its a nice shot, nothing against it , awsome car by the way dont ever sell it... lol

Thanks everyone. I don't ever plan on selling it, my dad helped me restore it.

Here's another shot, the bad part is the electrical boxes etc. in the background.
DSCN0598.jpg

Most reactions

Back