Advice... cont.. from post yesterday

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Heather09, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Heather09

Heather09 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So im trying to learn action and failed miserable ... I have Nikon D90 and lense that came with it... how to improve pics like this with what I have to wrok with, I tried the M mode and tweeked ISO and F but as you can see it was not good ..i need to understand I guess the shutter speed? should I rather be int he S mode and tweek what? Or shoudl I be on the sports "icon" and tweek what I can in that mode?

[​IMG]

Little better but still room for improvement without a doubt

[​IMG]

2. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You will need a much faster shutter speed for that. So you obviously switch to Shutter Mode, then crank it up to at least 500/1000. You will probably need a faster lens, and a higher ISO, depending on the conditions.

4. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The second photo looks good save for the drum.

On shots like these, I'd stick to one of the auto modes, my preference being AP since I can set the shutter I want by adjusting the lens opening. I save manual mode for tricky lighting, like when the background will throw the camera meter off.

In the first shot, you would have done well to pan the shot, meaning you follow the subject with the camera and take the shot. The background will be blurry, but the subject will be fairly sharp. It does take some practice, however.

5. Pure

Pure TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One of the photos is 1/400 f/8 ISO 200.

If you boosted your ISO to even just 400 and dropped your F stop to 5.6, you could easily get above 1/1000 to freeze the motion. Probably even higher, but with the D90's fantastic higher ISO, low noise quality, there is no issue boosting up to ISO 800 for completely clean pictures. I've shot the same picture with ISO 200 and ISO 800, and it was difficult to tell the difference between the two.

This just me, but the photos seem a little bit over exposed.

One thing you can do is if you want to shoot in manual is to set your Shutter speed, Aperture and ISO before the movement happens. Have her sit still on the horse for a few seconds while you take meter readings, adjust, and then fire away so you aren't adjusting mid-action.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  6. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Your problem is focus because 1/400 should get a sharper shot than these, only use your center focus point and continuous focus set it in aperture priority and not shutter priority(i always use manual) at about F5.6 and you will always get the highest shutter speed possible you want about 1/640 if you don't get it up your ISO
    if you pan with the action you don't need the shutter so fast, this shot is F10 1/250 but head on shot you want minimum 1/640
    [​IMG]

7. Heather09

Heather09 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    WOW that is the kinda shot Im lookin for! Thanks for all the good info from everyone... Its so hard to take it all in but doing it is the only way its gonna sink in. I tried one way yesterday next time I will try some other technics...Thanks again all for the good advice! Great place here, better then classes IMO :lol: WHo do I send the check to LOL