Advice - D200, MAC and Photoshop Lightroom

TerpTide4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have the main ingredients here for getting started. Also I will be taking a class (really catered to the D300 in Sept) In the meantime, can someone please recommend a book for Photoshop Lightroom - I don't think the manual is really cutting it for me.

Thanks so much - my apologies is this was recently posted in a different or recent thread - pretty new here

Cheers

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Lightroom-Digital-Photographers-Voices/dp/0321492161/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3_s9_rk?ie=UTF8&s=books&s9r=8a02b541132f95ab01134143f70e03a6&itemPosition=3&qid=1219257543&sr=8-3[/ame]

I don't know if that's the kind of book you mean. I haven't actually read it or anything, but Amazon has some different stuff.

Thanks Jeremy- yes I saw this at Amazon and I saw that it had somewhat mixed reviews which is why I posted here.
Do you use Lightroom yourself- Thanks for responding

Thanks Jeremy- yes I saw this at Amazon and I saw that it had somewhat mixed reviews which is why I posted here.
Do you use Lightroom yourself- Thanks for responding

Yeah, I use Lightroom 2. I used Lightroom 1 for a while, and just upgraded to 2 a couple weeks back or so. I have mixed feelings about Lightroom 2, it's not playing well with my external hard drive (which contains my libraries) at all; so I'm waiting to see if updates sort things out. It might be something I'm doing wrong though, for all I know. Any particular things you're having trouble with in Lightroom?

The thing about lightroom is that unlike photoshop there's a finite number of things that can be done with it. I'm surprised to find that there's enough to talk about to make a book in the first place.

I find unlike photoshop lightroom can be quickly learnt through experimentation, and if you need something extra potentially look into online tutorials not only for lightroom, but also for adobe CameraRAW in photoshop since the manipulation engine and thus most of the sliders are the same.

Jeremy -
I am in the same boat as you having the same problems with my libraries, I too am contemplating the upgrade to 2 (running 1.4.1) Getting kind of frustrated and starting think I blew $300 for something I may not end up using. Maybe iphoto although inferior product could have been suffice until I ramped up.
Have you had success with their support

I read most of the usual suspects for Lightroom 1 and found them to pretty much all the be the same for the most part. I have found to be honest that lynda.com has replaced most of my technical books. And indeed any titles by Chris Orwig to be awesome. He does a series on Lightroom 2, Photoshop etc. I'd recommend those over a book everytime.

I learned everything I needed to know about LR2 using my lynda.com subscription and it didn't leave me with a book that will be useless in six months :)

Regards,
Peter Witham

Most reactions

Back