Advice for a lighting setup....

kidchill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tripcphotos.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Nikon D80 and I'm looking to setup a little studio. Nothing fancy or too expensive. I'm looking for some lighting/flash setup that would allow me to take some good portrait shots, or modify for a softbox when needed. I'm not all that worried about portability, but I would like something that can be modified if needed. I'm also not looking to spend too much, if possible. I don't really care if it's a flash setup or continuous lighting as long as it looks decent!! The whole ghetto Walmart floodlight special just isn't cutting it!!! Thanks for the input...

I have a Nikon D80 and I'm looking to setup a little studio. Nothing fancy or too expensive. I'm looking for some lighting/flash setup that would allow me to take some good portrait shots, or modify for a softbox when needed. I'm not all that worried about portability, but I would like something that can be modified if needed. I'm also not looking to spend too much, if possible. I don't really care if it's a flash setup or continuous lighting as long as it looks decent!! The whole ghetto Walmart floodlight special just isn't cutting it!!! Thanks for the input...

you are probably ready for strobes then, but don't buy an el cheapo from ebay. stick with a name brand like:

www.alienbees.com

the B800 is like $279 i think. you can buy 1 strobe and use a reflector for fill. you will need either a softbox or shoot thru umbrellas

or

you can use off camera flash. cheapest way to go but no modeling lights and you will need shoot thru umbrellas to soften the light.

vivitar285hv $89.95 probably need @ least 2. 3 would be better.
you could also buy the gadget infinity triggers for them as well.

what i have:
britek pro500 (bought used on ebay)
1 vivitar 285hv
gadget infinity triggers.

You will never regret getting a quality light. An Alien Bee is a very good suggestion, and you might as well go new. Used ones are hard to find, which is a very good sign.

Most reactions

Back