Advice for beach shoot

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by mcmanus1000, Sep 28, 2007.

1. mcmanus1000

mcmanus1000 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi all...I'm a newbie here, but was hoping I could get some advice from those who have more knowledge than me. I have recently taken up photography and happen to be going on holiday with a group of friends, including a few models. The girls know that I have taken up photography, so they are all keen to do some test shots with me on the beach. I was wondering if I could get some advice on what equipment could come in handy on a shoot like this. Currently, I have a Nikon D40x with a stock 18-55mm zoom lens. I'm also going to take my tripod. Perhaps there are some other lenses which could be useful or lighting equipment? Any other tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    a reflector and a circular polarizer would probably come in handy. On a bright sunny beach, a reflector would be used just like a studio light, to put light where you need it and eliminate (or even create) shadows.

As for the polarizer, this will allow you to darken the blue of the sky, which is good because when you expose for the beach you are going to get an overexposed sky.

3. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There's another longer beach thread floating around either the beginner or the more advanced general topics.

4. mcmanus1000

mcmanus1000 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks for the tips. i did a search for 'beach' before but didn't come up with much. will look again.