Advice for first Group photo

kelgoneimy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I have been booked to-do a family photo with a mix of 10 total adults and children. I have a white umbrella, stand and external speed light and a wireless trigger system. A 70 to 200 mm and 35 mm lens. Im thinking out side will be ideal. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

What is the diameter of the umbrella?
The 70-200 @ 200 mm will deliver a nice shallow DoF and a minimum of distortion, as long as you have sufficient space to be far enough away from the group.

So I have been booked to-do a family photo with a mix of 10 total adults and children. I have a white umbrella, stand and external speed light and a wireless trigger system. A 70 to 200 mm and 35 mm lens. Im thinking out side will be ideal. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I've done this. Even with a 7-foot diameter umbrella and a 150ws light, there was significant fall-off over the width of the group. Everyone was totally crammed together as tightly as we could get. Some (such as myself for one) were just heads floating on someone's shoulder. I had a speedlight opposite the umbrella for fill, but pretty far back due to the width of the lens (18mm). Camera was about 20 feet from the group.

Yes, you'll need to be outside where you can get back a ways.

Watch your background.

You might consider posing everyone facing the setting sun for key light, and using the umbrella for fill.

Good luck!

I honestly don't know the diameter of the umbrella, I will luckily have plenty of space behind me since his backyard is quite large. Thank you very much for your Pearls of Wisdom

I've done this. Even with a 7-foot diameter umbrella and a 150ws light, there was significant fall-off over the width of the group. Everyone was totally crammed together as tightly as we could get. Some (such as myself for one) were just heads floating on someone's shoulder. I had a speedlight opposite the umbrella for fill, but pretty far back due to the width of the lens (18mm). Camera was about 20 feet from the group.

Yes, you'll need to be outside where you can get back a ways.

Watch your background.

You might consider posing everyone facing the setting sun for key light, and using the umbrella for fill.

Good luck!
At first I was kind of nervous to even do it but I honestly wanted to give this a shot because I didn't want to turn down something that could allow me to learn plus having groups in my portfolio would be very helpful. Thank you for your advice and for sharing your story.

Most reactions

Back